Cleaning a loft space: tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking in the loft of my 1970s bungalow.

There is some existing (manky) loft insulation between the joists.
Also some (manky) old rolls of carpet distributed at random -- presumably to aid insulation.
Area is about half boarded.

It looks a bit of a mess up there, lots of dust and muck from the original build! I want to clean it up a bit so I can store stuff in a relatively clean environment.

Question: Although manky, is the original loft insulation due for replacement.

Question: Can I get a vacuum cleaner up there? There is a light, but no electrical socket.

Tips please on cleaning out a loft.

Mike

Sponsored Links
You be better off hiring industrial vacuum cleaner that can cope with a large area of dusts.

no point in removing the old stuff if youre going to cover it over. its probably glass fibre based which is a pig to get out. it will still have some insulation value, so youll be better off leaving it there and topping it up with some new stuff. As for removing the carpet, its going to be dirty and messy, so get a mask and gloves before getting it out, and make sure you where old clothing, or a boiler suit and keep all your skin covered as it will have glass fibres in it which itch like buggery. Cant see the point in hoverring it with your own vacum cleaner, better off hiring one or getting a cheap one for the job (like an earlex for about £35.00 from most diy sheds).

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem recently. All I did was wear a mask, goggles & gloves along with some clothes I didn't mind being ruined and got stuck in filling up black sacks with all the debris. Once clear of the larger rubbish I got to work with the dustpan and brush before finally using my own domestic hoover. Came up a treat and I saved myself the hire charges, however an industrial cleaner would no doubt save some work if money is no object. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back