Loft Cleanout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recomend the best way to clean out the loft.
My wife (bless her) bought some loft insulation for me to put down,
but I would'nt even go in the loft because it was that black with dust and old insulation. If i attemped to bag that up by hand, it would take for ever.

is there a industrial hoover for that kind of work.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Most people leave the old loft insulation there and just top it up with new insulation which will give you a bigger thickness. Nobody like doing this kind of work, best to wear a 1 piece overall with hood, goggle, mask & gloves. A couple of 2 small plywood sheet to rest on the ceiling joists would help to keep your balance.

Most hire shop supply heavy duty industrial cleaner.

Thanks for that advise pal, especially the small plywood sheet bit.
I need to get the old insulation up, its been wet several times due to leaks
and as been damaged in several places.
Just need to pluck up the courage to tackle it.

:D

i take it the leaks are fixed?

take black bin liners up, put old insulation into bin bags, seal bin bag then double bag it. this way hopefully you will only rip one bag getting it down and out from the loft.

take a "headlight torch" too, so you can see into the corners

my brother and i did our mother loft in about 2 hours (i think) that included getiing new loft insulation up into the loft

Sponsored Links
Try not to bury any electrical cables with the insulation, try to keep them clear, at worst on TOP of the insulation rather than buried. Similarly any inset light poking through should be left uncovered to let the heat out or you'll be buying replacement bulbs every week!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back