what is the best way to get rid of thick black dust in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use valuable space in my loft, and will be soon covering the joists with some chip board covering, but before I do, I want to get rid of all dust from the loft, this is composed of very thick layer of black (charcoal black) dust which must have come from old slate roof along with broken pieces of old slates, there is no loft insulation in my loft, thank God for that as I hate glass fibre stuff,

What is the best method to remove this and what should I use, I have some ideas like using an small industrial type hoover, but any other ideas will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i would suggest its from the atmosphere as well
remember everyone had a coal fire [smogs off the 50s]
dust and traffic fumes in the air as well as general polution over the years
you will unless you block up the very essential ventilation carry on to get further dust and dirt :D

Sponsored Links
Right, I have a Henry type vacuum cleaner, I bought it from it is Wickes, its their own brand (grey colour with black top) really good it is and a lot of suction.

Now the problem is the paper bag filter that you wrap around the centre body that houses the motor, this filter can get clogged with very fine dust, and then it would lose efficiency, so it would mean I will have to replace these filters as they are difficult to clean of small particles embedded to it. So may be I will have to go through a dozen or so filters.

Worst thing is when you are emptying the bucket, all that dust gets air born even when you put a black bag to collect all the debris and dust it has sucked, so I will have to also wear a breathing mask.

Thirdly, this hoover has inlet and and an outlet at the opposite side, which gushes out filtered air, plus any micro size particles, so I am planning to attach a very long flexible pipe and poke it out through an opening in the roof to discharge exhaust air into the atmosphere, since if I don't do this, then this exhaust air blasting from the vacuum cleaner will stir more dust within the loft.

So my problem now is where to get hold of some flexible hose about 2" diameter and about 10m in length for about £20.

motor centre housingalck top)

It sounds like you have the Earlex WD1000 rebadged machine......I found extension hoses from Machine Mart (050521155) fitted mine.
To prevent escape, fix a bag on the outlet tube with an elastic band, and the same technique can be used on the inlet tube inside the drum.
John :)

Not sure if it is the same one you mean, mine was bought more than 5 years ago, and is in fairly regular use to suck up engraving dust from plastic engraving materials. I have not used is as much on picking up household dust, It is from Wickes Power Tool range, I have been using it now for well over 5 years and never had any problem, still runs very quiet, and suction is awesome for a 1000watts, it is the type that blows as well, hence why do not want to take it up into the loft its blower could well stir the whole dust, so I am planning to attach a long hose and take the exhaust air into the garden.

Yes I have a paper bag type filter wrapped around the motor part, using a rubber band, I am not sure how it would handle fine dust in my loft or will it get clogged up in a very short time. will see when I start the job this weekend.

I wrapped 3 different layers of filtration around the vacuum cleaner, so that it traps even minute particles, and after collecting 1/3 full debri and dust, the suction collapsed, filters chocking solid, and only managed to clean about 4 square feet area,

I might try my Dyson DC07 Cyclone to see if it is any better at it! :rolleyes:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks GTE and everyone for your advice/opinion, remember one thing, it is afterall a DIY effort, and one of the things is to use what I have available, a true DIY strategy, as I am not a professional builder, so there is no question of having proper industrial type of tools. nor the experience, so it is a learning curve as well as you go along.

Henry managed to do a pretty good job I would say, only that filter clogs up and the suction diminishes to about 20%, which means it is still capable of sucking fine dust leaving slightly heavier debris behind, I can live with that sine the main thing is the finer dust I want to get rid of.

But then , I found that when the suction gets low, switch off, whack the drum a few times to shake off clinging dust which falls to the bottom, and then resume, and the suction improves to about 50% which now means it is ready to suck small to medium pieces of debris, and the finer dust, until it fills up and needs emptying, but it is mostly (90%) dust rather than small pieces of broken slates or plaster pieces.

So in all I had to switch off and shake off dust about 5 times, and managed to suck up approx 15Kg of dust, clearing about 4 square meters of area, so at this rate I should be able to complete the job in about 3 to 4 days, taking it easy and spending about 2 yo 3 hrs a day.

Finally, when you empty the contents into a black rubbish bag, most of the dust is transferred into the black bag, very little spillage into the air, however, the fine dust stuck on the filter has to be removed manually with a brush, this would get air born and I have to avoid this at all cost, and is no good brushing it off, so this is where DC07 comes handy, as it only has to suck up a small amount of very fine dust clinging to the Henry's filter, and this cleans the Henry filter very well, keeping minimum down time as you don't then have to wash off the filter and wait for it to dry, you could then get back and start using it again after emptying Henry, this way you can get almost 90% suction. (you would get 100% suction when filters are washed properly and dried thoroughly.

I also went to Wickes today, and bought another Henry, just in case, at £39.00 and this is slightly different to previous model, it comes with 3 cloth type filters bags that slip over the motor, that means you could wash one and allow to dry and can use a 2nd filter and a 3 rd one and by which time the first one is dry.

I have also bought a proper filter cartridge for my old Henry as opposed to using foam type filter since foam filter is no good for very fine microscopic dust particles, hence why I had to wrap several layers of other paper type filter material as used in other hoover bags.

But yes guys getting there, and I will be well please when all that deep pile of real thick black dust is got rid of and I can sleep in peace. :)

Been spending a lot of time enlarging my Loft hatch from 12"x18" to 26" x 33", this is huge hole needed to store a huge telescope box (Meade LX200) as I need to keep this box when I come to sell it, the box is very necessary to protect the telescope against any transit damage, and has high density foam insert shaped to take the telescope, the box itself weighs around 15kg!

A large opening if build well should not look too ugly. My plans are to eventually build corner staircase and I am now planning how to go about it, been looking at other people's stairs who have done loft conversion, though i am not going to make a proper room, but it should still be well enough to store things and be bright, and well insulated.

I am not going to interfere with roof supports and beams, except insulate the roof itself and then hold the insulation wool using light weight hardboard (no plaster boards as they weigh a lot more, also I am going to try and use 3/8ply to keep the weight of the floor down. If I were to use dedicated floor boards, they weigh huge. It is not meant as a room for habitation, so should be OK for occasional traffic. I hope.

t sure if you have finished but for the future you can get ash bins that attach to vacuum cleaners for cleaning out fire places. They act as an intermediary filter. This may have done the job for you.

http://www.mysmartbuy.com/p-810-Ash...oduct+Search&gclid=CLDzpbeW37oCFcTLtAodHHkAyg

Aldi and Lidl also have them occasionally.

Alternatively I also found this:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/800-W-Ash-Vacuum-Cleaner/Pr183154000?gclid=CJ7egN-X37oCFebMtAodMBkA3Q

I have the same job to do and have been thinking about how to takle it, as we have an open fire as well I think the purchase of one of these would be ideal.

thanks eddieed, I have managed so far to clear half the loft using the wickes wet & dry vacuum cleaner, which is very similar to the one shown in your bottom link, I will bear in mine to buy this for £36.00 it is a bargain!

My loft measures 16.5 feet by 22 feet, which is a fairly large area to be vacuumed off this thick layer of charcoal black dust at least 1" thick and in places even thicker!

Such is this dust that within 5 minutes when the drum is only a 1/4 full the filter gets clogged by this very fine dust and all suction becomes useless.

So I then pause vacuuming, stop the motor, shake the drum, allowing the fine dust to drop off to the bottom of the drum, resume vacumming, and the suction then gets restored for another good couple of minutes at least, this way i managed to fill the drum full.

But there is one snag when you overfill drum, the lid with its top motor and the filter assembly gets badly stuck in this fine dust that it really need s enormous force to pull it out, and when you do that lots of dust also gets spilled! so it is better to empty the drum regularly before it gets too full.

I have bought a spare filter cartridge, so when one gets really clogged up, it goes for a jet wash, and I can then use the spare one to continue vacuuming.

Dust masks I was using were no good, air would be sucked from the sides, and still enter my lungs, so I found a way around this, by applying masking tape all around the filter to my face, making it air tight seal, it did a brilliant job of keeping all dust coming into my lungs, But I am getting there, once all cleaned off, i will be wiping all rafters, joists, and roof lining with a wet soapy cloth and paint it white to reflect light better, and put some roof joist insulation, since I cannot have a thick layer on the floor as I going to cover the floor so the insulation layer will not be 270mm thick but only 100mm thick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back