cleaning out old loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdo, my first post BTW.

I am currentl clearing out my loft sothat i can lay insluation. It is an old property min 200 years ols and the loft was a state. I Have done the bulk of the clearing with a brush shovel but want to hoover out the remaining dust/soot/gravelly rubble stuff.

I bought a cheap bagless hoover from argos but this just keeps overheating after 5 mins then powers off for half an hour or so. i then have to clean/brush the filter so it will have any suction again.

Its doing my box in!!!! and will take ages to complete. It is very frsutarting that the hoover is holding me back. Is there an industrial hoover anyone is aware of or something similar that is more appropriate???? any responses would be very gratefully received!

thanks

Sponsored Links
Perhaps something more like a Henry?
With lots of filters as you'll be blocking them fair often.

Try the hire shops as they stock the larger capacity vacuum's. Just be sure you can either get it into the loft or that the hose is long enough if you can't.

Sponsored Links
for this one off large job i would seriously consider hiring a big industrial one.Less emptying and filter banging out.

thanks very much for the excellent responses. I bought the cheap argos one thinking i caould just use abuse and bin but it has been money wasted. I have now taken up my 'good' panasonic hoover (it has removable bags) and it is doing a grand job. Only thing is it keeps overheating and cutting out but not as regularly as the argos cheapo job.

Im thinking thois will do the job. But I take the advise of the industrial job. I would consider this if I was starting from scratch, but im about half way done now!!!!.

Many thanks to y'all, its appreciated.
Jon

you need to change the bag more often. Even if only quarter full. The dust blocks up the pours of the bag and causes it to over heat before the bag is full.

thanks mate. What a difference this has made. Only thing is more bags used but so what as it gets the job done withougt having to stop/start.

nearly done now, gonna lay the inslulation now!!!!!

how much fun eh!!!!!!

thanks again
J

when you say a bagless hoover, do you mean something like an Aquvac or Goblin? the ones like an oil drum with a motor on top can be fitted with a paper sack that wraps round the cartidge filter. This catches the dust and rubble so stops the cartidge from blocking. You throw away the paper sack when it is full of dirt.

If you suck up bits of broken brick they sometimes puncture the paper sack.

Thanks mate, appreciated advice. Hoovering out all done now. would have been better spending the £25 on hoover bags instead of the cheap hoover from argos!!!! noticed you can get 20 bags on ebay for £10!!!!!

oh well we live and learn eh!!!!!!

thanks again J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back