Soot in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat has the old lath and plaster ceiling and I have been up in the loft for the last day or 2 fixing some new wiring for lights. I had to vacuum around the light holes to minimise dust and when I did this I found there is a thick layer of soot under the insulation. I think it is from when they removed the chimney. Is this normal and does anyone know a company who would clean it out for me. It covers most of the loft.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's common to find a lot of dust, including sooty deposits, on top of old lath and plaster especially where there's no roofing felt and dust gets blown in under the tiles. What comes in depends on the area in which you live.

However, it may be that the soot you've found results mainly from the chimney removal you refer to, and insulation has been laid on top.

Unless you've got some reason for lifting the insulation, I'd leave it alone as it's unlikely to create any problems. I wouldn't employ someone to do it. If you really feel the need, equip yourself with mask, gloves and a good vacuum cleaner (not a domestic one) and do it yourself.

i cleaned out the loft in an old house I used to have. Hired an industrial cleaner but I think an Aquavac would do it. I'd use the disposable paper sacks as it clogs the cartridge filter

The dust is very heavy by the time the sacks are full so lower then away while you can still manage them

If the loft is unfelted it will soon get dirty again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back