Clearing Out The Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a mid terrace a few months ago and recently ventured into the loft. It's a right mess. It looks like a building site. I assume it's all junk left up here from the builders when they put walls up between the houses in the loftspace? There is tons of rubble and it's very very sooty with fine dirt everywhere.

I enquired to hire shops about a industrial site clearing equipment, but either the hoses are not long enough or the unit is too big to get in the loft access. I've been manually doing it with a dustpan/handbrush with rubble sacks, but even with a dust mask it's getting a little much and obviously the air gets dense with dirt.

Does anyone have any sugestions for clearing it out so I can put a bit of flooring down for storage?

Sponsored Links
How about spraying a fine mist of water.
I think using dustpan & brush is probably the cleanest way

you can use an Aquvac or similar. You can easily lift it into the loft. Take some strong plastic sacks up with you to put the dirt into and lower it down (tape then shut so they don't spill in the house). Shovel up the big stuff first.

The fine black dust you find in an old unfelted loft, especially in a city, will clog the filter, but you can buy paper liners to put inside an Aquavac. They may be punctured if you suck up sharp bits of broken brick.

If the loft is not felted it will soon get dirty again :(

Use a dust mask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back