Cleaning a sub-floor.

T05

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm ripping out a bedroom carpet to replace it with some vinyl and was wondering about the best way to clean the sub-floor before hand..

The room previously had a small mould and damp problem, hence binning the carpet.

See picture of sub-floor.

Ideas much appreciated.

20130107090848.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, you have hardboard down. If its nailed down well then just give it a good scrape and then loose lay the vinyl.
Is it domestic vinyl you will be putting down?

and get a good carpet fitter in. Who ever put down that gripper should be banned from fitting carpet.

Hi mate, you have hardboard down. If its nailed down well then just give it a good scrape and then loose lay the vinyl.
Is it domestic vinyl you will be putting down?

Well I was thinking of some basic self adhesive tiles - something quick and easy, but being a bedroom maybe I need something better for sounds/warmth.

With there being various types of vinyl, any recomendations?

Thanks

and get a good carpet fitter in. Who ever put down that gripper should be banned from fitting carpet.

You should see the 'fitted' kitchen. The last occupant definitely experimented. :cry:

Sponsored Links
well if your going down the stick on route WAIT FOR IT!
check out pound land i kid you not,i bought some for my kitchen floor pack of 5,exactly the same tiles being sold in wickes(pack of 6)for £5 a pack.
done my kitchen for £13.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Getting back to the hardboard floor. I want to clean it to get rid of any mouldy residue from the old carpet.

What is the safest way of doing this without causing more dampness and rot? I'm uneasy about wetting a hardboard surface....

Anyone? Thanks

If the carpet is up and out, just allow a few days with the rad on and the window opened (every now and then) to kick out any excessive moisture in the hardboard.

If you have live mould spores such as black spot you could kill them with a bleach water solution. And then dry out the hardboard.

Alternatively, pull up the hardboard and relay new, again having given the room a few days to dry and breath between taking up and new lay.

3mm 1200 x 2400 hardboard isn't dear, wickes have it for under £6 a sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back