new carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thank you in advance for any help on the following. There's been a leak in the bathroom which has now been rectified. The carpet in the adjoining bedroom however is damp/musty/mouldy (hard to tell which one). The affected carpet area is around 2ft * 1ft. Now that the leak has been fixed the carpet needs to be replaced

The issue is as follows:

The carpet can only be replaced once the sub-floor is dry, for this to happen the carpet needs to be lifted and left like that for 1-2 weeks. However when the carpet is lifted the sub-floor gives off really bad odours. Someone is living in that room and bearing that would be a struggle..

Ideally I want to replace the carpet immediately without having to go through the above process, can I just replace the affected sub-floor and then put on the underlay and carpet?

Below are 2 photos of carpet and 2 photos of sub-floor

Attachments

• carpet_1.JPG
    carpet_1.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 88
  • carpet_2.JPG
    carpet_2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 104
  • underfloor_1.JPG
    underfloor_1.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 85
  • underfloor_2.JPG
    underfloor_2.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Get rid of the carpet, underlay and gripper rods and use a few capfuls of bleach in a bucket of water to clear the smelly stuff out. Then use a "Glade" type product to help cover any remaining smell.

You could replace the subfloor if you want to, but I suspect you'll find the above method works okay.

Thank you.

So take a bucket of water, add in capfuls of bleach and then clean the sub-floor? And then wait to dry for a couple of days or longer?

You've got it, but give it about a week in this weather, or put a dehumidifier in the room to suck out as much moisture as possible.

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks doggit, and do I need to clean with a scourer or scraper, whats the most effective way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back