Cleaning block pavers and concrete slabs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus saw a neighbour jet washing his block pavers last week. The other day she came home and remarked on how lovely and clean they are. :oops: :cry: Guess what? She suggested that on top of all the other bits n bobs that need doing around the house and garden that I should consider cleaning ours....STRONGLY SUGGESTED.... :rolleyes:

So, what are the pro's and cons of jet washing? Should I consider blinding off the joints that will be blasted and if so, what about some form of treatment to deter further weed infestation and algae/moss.

Must admit they look a bit tatty but what I don't want is having to go through this rigmarole two or three times a year if jet washing alone is a short term measure and will only serve to make the problem worse.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :D

Sponsored Links
I used a jet wash once on our patio. I found it be to too destructive e.g. taking out the sand and forcing the bricks apart and not cleaning them up too brilliantly. I recently bought some cementone from b&q and swept it in the patio, came up a treat, careful though as it's acidic and stinks.

jet washing should only be done as a last resort when the build up of crud can't be shifted by cleaning products. It gradually etches the surface off pavers and slabs showing the aggregate through.

Chemical treatment is also more effective as it will keep it cleaner for longer.

Its also miles faster and creates less mayhem.

There is not much that hypochlorite won't shift.

See here for instructions, and be careful of run off around plants/grass

http://www.pavingexpert.com/maintain_02.htm

you could use a brush attachment on the jet wash which would create less sand removal but takes longer. If you don't feel like doing it three times a year then don't do it. Jet washing a patio or block paving is a bit like shampooing your carpet. It looks great for a while but gets dirtier quicker once the surface has been removed by the pressure of the water.

Sponsored Links
Interesting point about the run off into grass. Has anyone got some effective ideas to limit this? I need to do a pathway edged by my lawn. Last thing I probably need is to get a bit over enthusiastic sweeping in acid based products but i dont want to go the other extreme and do it brick by brick so carefully that I'll need to spread the job over days.

If you water it well before and after it doesn't suck it in as much. Personally i use a leaf blower to direct the runoff to a gulley or other hard surface when i am hosing it off.

I did the front bricks with cementine and the plant in the middle was lower than the surrounding patio. Needless to say the run off went to the centre and soaked the dirt around the plant. I just added more and more water in the hope the acid in the earth will dilute else im in trouble with the missus!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back