Cleaning bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one does cleaning bricks with muriatic acid actually work or does anything ?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Advise appreciated !
TIA

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell! pointed with a catapult! I'd suggest starting with some brick acid and a very stiff brush - maybe wire brush. That's gonna take some elbow grease

Bloody hell! pointed with a catapult! I'd suggest starting with some brick acid and a very stiff brush - maybe wire brush. That's gonna take some elbow grease

Them pictures do it justice mate it looks fookin horrendous in person...honestly. Have you had promising results with acid ? I'm tempted to just cut them out with grinder and replace as may be able to lay my hands on a few.

Brick cleaner will dissolve out the cement and lime so it leaves a skin of sand particle to stop the acid getting any deeper. So a good stiff brush after acid to knock of these particles, then more acid. . . If you can find one a brass wire brush that is good, but check that you are not damaging the bricks before going too far.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The blue bricks are, presumably, engineering bricks and it would have been better for them to be below ground instead of the what look like stock bricks soaking up the moisture?
As suggested above, your best bet would be to (get a brickie to) replace all the spoiled bricks. I say this without knowing much about brick cleaning.
Cleaning with acid can be a messy disappointing business that could leave the treated areas looking different from the rest of the brickwork.

Appreciate the replies I'm going to give it a go and see how it looks after, worse case scenario I will remove and replace, just as a side note this is not my doing for reference (y):LOL:

I've just used a hi-pressure washer to clean algae / dirt / mess from some existing imperial bricks.

I've attached a picture and you can see the line where they have not been cleaned. I was not sure it would work or not. Equally, I will prob. end up re-pointing this building as we have so much work going on, as such I was not bothered if some of the mortar was blasted out.

Attachments

• IMG_3715.jpg
    IMG_3715.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 227
This is perhaps a better one - as it's mortar on the bricks.

Attachments

• IMG_3662.jpg
    IMG_3662.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 237
I dream about having pre-heated water on this site, we could actually get clean hands !!

No, this is straight cold water. I was impressed by it as well. Got my mate who supplied the kit and did half the building - £100 well spent I thought !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back