cleaning decks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have 2 areas of deck

the first hasnt been treated at all and is grey

the second has had decking stain and i think oil put on it in the past

i want to clean both and then treat hopefully without staining, or if so a light oak

i have been googling all the stuff and the youtube films and am a bit confused..:oops:

any advice greatly appreciated

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
you will never be able to stain a deck that has been previously oiled.
Stripping decking stain is pure hell but if you did it you could oil over the bare wood or stain again if you liked.

As for general cleaning hypochlorite bleach watered down about 4:1 sprayed on and left for 20 mins then scrubbed hard will shift any ingrained grime.

Be careful of the run off though. Deck magic and the like are ok too.

You can also powerwash it but this really lifts the grain and makes it attract even more dirt in the future and also makes staining or oiling more difficult.

thanks

i do see the problem...we discussed tonight with my partner and thought an alternatice would be to prepare for deck paint...or gagage floor paint and just go for a twee colour scheme...not white though...probably light grey

what do you think

cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back