Decking Stain Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, everyone.

I've been having some difficulties with my decking treatment and decided to search the net to see if anyone has any tips. I've come across you guys and hope you can help!

First of all hello!

Second, I have some decking that is a couple of years old. It's been treated with quite a dark decking stain. Now is the time for me to re-do the stain. However, I didn't like the original stain as it was a bit thick and some parts still looked shiny / wet even today. It's like a silky sheen over some parts. Not all.

So I power / jet washed the whole of the decking. Now I have decking that is quite patchy in colour everywhere as some of the paint has come off with the jet spray and some has not. More has not come off. (I wasn't trying to get it off, I was just trying to get it clean for a re coat)

The problem I have is that I have tried some ronseal perfect finish decking stain. Dark oak I think it was called. However it did nothing whatsoever. Everything looks exactly the same. So £30 down the pan! I really want to get it sorted but don't want to risk another £30, £60 etc trying out different products.

I've seen some stuff in focus DIY store that says wood stain. But it says for use on everything apart from decking! Is there a reason for this or because they want you to buy the decking version? I've also seen cuprinol cladding and fence opaque finish. Has anyone used this before?

Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything would be great!!!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Keeping decks well protected is a big challenge. Many products available have their own distinct performance and application characteristics. The product choice for your project should be determined by finding the most suitable product available given your specific project requirements.

Well thanks for that mumbo-jumbo garbage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back