Cleaning fence prior to re-stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to re-stain my fence panels … these are 4x1 pails staggered either side of 4x2 horizontals, in 6’ x 5’ panels .. set into concrete H posts & gravel boards (painted to match stain colour)
Around 300’ of it to do.

Some of the panels in shady areas have the dreaded green algae finish.
Intending to wash down with pressure washer ( fan setting not to raise grain) ……….. many US videos advise pre-treat with a cleaning solution.
3:1:1 water:bleach:TSP

When I cleaned my patio … I used a cleaning solution of
Sodium Hypochlorite (14%)
Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide
at 3:1 hypo mix with water and around 2% of amine as a surfactant.

As I have plenty of these left, anybody know if this would be suitable for washing down the panels ? …. or do I need to get some TSP.

Sponsored Links
Jet wash soaks the wood and raises the grain .... so didn't want to do that.
Howver I have the answer:

The Sodium Hypochlorite & Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide - did work but concerned about bleaching effect on the wood, removal of colour from existing stain, and how this could effect longevity of new stain.

Did a lot of Googling around and came across a product recommendation ... 'Wet & Forget'
http://www.wetandforget.co.uk/
I managed to get a sample to try ..... diluted 5 to 1 ... simply sprayed it on ... no agitation whatsoever.
All algae dead the next day ..where it was thin ... simply gone, where it was thick, what remains is a white powder.

This can be brushed off or it will wash off in the rain.

Impressed how well this performed. It contains no bleach and has unlimited shelf life ... as it also works on brick & stone I just ordered 20L of it ... and will spray my cills, lintols, pillars & copings.
As well as all fence (6000 sq ft) and the patio to stop re-growth.

It seems it is well advertised on the TV shopping channels - I went to manufacturers web site .. and their price was the same .......... but importantly there is also a 20% scheme if you recommend someone. Applies to both party's.

(happy to recommend any of you if you want the 20% off - ping me an email)

I used that and saved a nice chunk of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back