Cleaning header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’ve (horrifyingly) found a dead bird and it’s nest in the header tank in my loft. I’ve completely drained and scrubbed the tank with washing up liquid, refilled it, and am draining it out and can see bubbles and gunk coming out the taps (so far so good, if not the ideal way to celebrate a bank holiday!)

I have just read the washing up liquid is really bad for pipes. My questions are:

1. how do I get the washing up liquid out completely, other than continuing to flush it? (The hot water isn’t turned on, so it’s just cold, if that makes a difference)

2. When I’ve done that, are there any chemical cleaners you can recommend to clean any residual bacteria and bird out of the tank, hot water cylinder, and pipes? I know the tank feeds the hot water cylinder and there’s no way to scrub the inside of that, as far as I know!

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
You need to use a Sterox kit from Fernox but make sure you follow the instructions exactly to get the full effect.

It's not difficult just time consuming to ensure that all the pipework and outlets have the correct concentration of chlorine before leaving it for the prescribed time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back