Cleaning kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I’ve got some kitchen lights that look something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Bri..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=lighting&qid=1274682991&sr=8-1

They’ve been up for about ten years and need cleaning. It’s not just a dusting they’re after, but a de-greasing. They’ve got a yucky coating on them, a bit like your cupboard tops get.

Now I’m smart enough to know not to put then in the sink and and give them a scrub with some soapy water. What I was thinking was to take them down and wipe them over with some meths or white spirit. The spirit should de-grease the light and evaporate quickly to stop the obvious issue of putting back a wet light.

What’s the view of the wise?

Therms

Sponsored Links
if it was me I would take them off and rub repeatedly with a sponge and washing up liquid. spirit cleaners may attack the insulation and any protective lacquer.

electrical parts are generally non-rusting brass, and plastic insulation. I often clean parts in the sink or dishwasher. rinse and dry thoroughly before reassembly. The problem you might have is dismantling it enough to be able to clean the parts and ensure all moisture is removed afterwards.

you have to be careful not to transfer dirt and grease into the internal parts.

examine wiring insulation that has been in contact with grease as it may be softened and swollen

you must of course disconnect from power before starting cleaning or disassembly.

Soap and water works well on chrome, with the help of a soft toothbrush.
If the grime is stubborn using vinegar and rag/cloth will also help.
Once you have got the chrome clean, give once over with a damp cloth, then make sure you dry the unit as chrome can develop water spots.
If want to go the full hog, you can then chrome wax it.
If you are disconnecting the light fitting, remember to isolate the circuit and take a note and a photo and or a drawing of the way the cables are connected up and mark the cables appropriately, so you can reconnect with little hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back