Are Knightsbridge EVOLVE Downlights any Good the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are looking for some decent downlights for the kitchen.
They have to be fire rated as there is insulation above (don't ask)

We like the Knightsbridge, as we can buy different fronts if we change our minds i.e. not sure about paintable white or brushed steel.
Also there do tiltable version.

So we came across the Knitsbridge, but I don't know one brand from the next.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbri...6465991&sr=1-1&keywords=Knightsbridge++evoict

Sponsored Links
Knightsbridge are decent enough. Other manufacturers are available.

However:

Fire rated means that when your kitchen is on fire, the fire won't pass through the downlighters for a certain amount of time, such as 30 minutes.

The presence of insulation has nothing to do with being fire rated or not, and shoving a load of insulation over the top of downlighters will usually cause them to overheat and stop working.

You are confused.

Fire rated is nothing to do with insulation.
If the room above the kitchen is your property, fire rated is not required.

However:
upload_2018-5-22_21-56-49.png

Hi yes you are right thanks , I misunderstood when typing.
So back to the original question, are they good?

Sponsored Links
Can't not ask, really....

If what's above is a flat roof, what type (cold/warm deck)? And will you be able to reinstate the insulation over the lights, and maintain a vapour seal?

Also, how many lights? In relation to the size of the room, is that "a lot", and if so have you thought about whether that might be because the lights aren't actually very good at doing the job of lighting up rooms?

Have you considered whether the light pattern from an array of small downlights recessed into the ceiling is appropriate for a kitchen?

Rock wool insulation in place as noise travels in the house. Was worth ripping down the ceilings when renovating, just for this.
So only a bedroom above

Not sure where you got the last 2 sentences from, I haven't mentioned the lights being good or any good. I am asking if the Brand and light is a good one to install.
Thanks

Rock wool insulation in place as noise travels in the house.
Have you thought about whether cutting lots of holes in the ceiling will be likely to make the problem of noise transmission worse, or better?

Then there are cooking smells...

Not sure where you got the last 2 sentences from, I haven't mentioned the lights being good or any good. I am asking if the Brand and light is a good one to install.
Thanks
I was only wondering if you were putting in this type of lighting, (i.e. trying to light a room with lots of torches recessed into the ceiling) because you like it, and because you have considered the way it lights up a room, and you want the effect of bright and less-bright patches in a kitchen , or if you are doing it because you only think it must be OK on the grounds that so many other people install it.

The answer is, we like the look, we have had on our kitchens before, and yes we chose this style as it is one of the most popular way of lighting in Kitchens.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back