Help: How can I fix broken wheel cap on a fishermens trolley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plastic end cap on my fishermens trolley has broken and the little bit of plastic that keeps it in place has snapped off completely.

Anyone got any ideas of how I can fix it and keep the wheel on the axel. I was thinking that some Sugru might do the job?

IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG

Sponsored Links
So the red wheel rotates on the black stub axle, which doesn't rotate, but is held on by the nut just seen in the first shot? All that effectively holds the wheel on is the rectangular "catch" sticking out.
Cross drill the outer part of the stub axle through both sides of the "tube" to take an "R" clip (or a split pin if it doesn't have to come off regularly). Big washer between R clip and wheel.

washer and split pin. Or an R clip if you can find one big enough.

Sponsored Links
That's right the axel is fixed and the wheel rotates around it. It's only held on by an end cap, with a spring loaded clip that fits into a little whole about 3 x 3 mm. Tbh the fixture is pretty weak given it's only held in place by plastic.

A Jubilee clip might be best bet? An R-pin or split pin both require some sort of drilling, which might go wrong. And I don't have a drill to hand.

Thanks all

Is there a lip on the end cap, if so a couple of small self tapping screws at opposite ends through the side into the lip should hold it on

the washer is very important to prevent the wheel snagging on your screw or clip. Two washers would be even better.

Do you mean putting the screws through the axel to keep the wheel from falling off?

Thanks for all the suggestions btw.

if you can find a short length of tube or even wooden dowel to fit inside the axle, then when you tighten jubilee clip you can give it more welly as it wont crush the plastic .
litl

Forget a jubilee clip - it will come off - most likely when your struggling up an embankment and all your gear will fall down - possibly into the water.
You need something perpendicular to the direction of the wheel coming off, As John says - drill a hole and use an R clip or split pin and large washers.
If needs be find an aluminum tube that fits inside the spindle so that you can drill through that too so you have extra strength.

Could you make another square hole on the other side with a drill and small, square needle file? It would be a (Sherlock Holmes) "two pipe" solution...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back