attaching pirate ship steering wheel to post so it can spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster..
Whilst our builders are continuing with garage conversion/extension, we have moved our 3 year old son into his new room before they remove /extend the external wall of his old room.
We have gone for a pirate theme in his new room, and to that end have got a smallish old world wooden pirate ship style steering wheel. Plan is to either attach to wall or to a post at foot of his bed. Idea is to allow the wheel to spin, and I'm a bit stuck as to how I achieve this. Not sure what kind of bolt I need, as obviously don't want the bolt undoing and the wheel falling off!
Any ideas on what I need to look for in local diy shack or local screwfix branch? Not knowing right term makes Google searches somewhat fruitless...
Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
coach bolt or nut and bolt and 2 penny washers
and a say 40mm long bit off plastic pipe as a spacer to stop the wheel becoming a guillotine

Spindle on wheel is about 15mm. Not sure whether we'll be attached to wall or bed. Probably a post attached to bed frame though. Maybe something a 30mmx30mm post?

How's the 40mm plastic pipe prevent it spinning?

Thanks for tips. I'll check out the coach bolt...

Sponsored Links
Bolts with shoulders are much the same....(Screwfix 71928 for example)
plus two nuts and four washers. A piece of plastic tubing to take the 10mm bolt out to the 15mm hole in the wheel will help prevent wear.
So - washer up to the bolt head, tubing on, wheel on, another washer....then one nut, one washer - through the post, washer then a final nut.
Buy more washers to take up any clearance of the wheel thats needed, and B&Q sell these individually.
For a 10mm bolt, drill 11mm through the timber - getting the hole exactly horizontal will prevent the wheel binding.
John :)

the plastic pipe wont stop it spinning but it will stop there fingers getting trapped when they are arguing who is the captain and tugging 2 ways on the wheel

thanks all. I added a self-locking nut and a nut with a small dome on the end so the end of the bolt was not showing. Added it to a post and screw to footboard of bed. Has worked a treat. Used a small length of hose pipe as the plastic tubing, and that seems to have worked.
Our 3yr old walked into the room and said ' Shiver my timbers'...So I think he liked it as well!! :D

lol!

you probably had to be there, but we were rolling with laughter. comedy timing and all that...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back