Cleaning my system - No inhibitor used previously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I dont think my system has had any inhibitor since it was flushed and I am wondering it probably needs a cleaning agent before then adding an inhibitor.

Just wandering if anyone can recommend a product and provide some guidance? Can I add it to a towel rad and then do I just run the heating for a few hours and then drain?

Sponsored Links
Flushed, probably not since it was fitted about 4-5 years ago. Drained a few times during various plumbing jobs.

Well a clean wouldn’t do it any harm. Drain, add cleaner, fill and run for as long as needed, drain, flush and then add inhibitor when it is refilled. That’s what I’d do anyway!

Sponsored Links
thanks - any products you'd recommend for the job? And when you say run, do you mean have the heating on and the boiler heating water?

Also do I need to drain it first or can I add the cleaner to it as is?

Can add the cleaner as it is. I use Sentinel X400 to clean it and X100 to inhibit.

I bought X800 as I think it needs a good clean. Do I need to run the central heating for it to work?

Chemical flushes can do more damage than good...

If your going to clean your system for it properly by Powerflushing

Chemical flushes can do more damage than good...

If your going to clean your system for it properly by Powerflushing

Can you elaborate. Is this from personal experience? How would the damage manifest itself? What could go wrong?

Firstly What sort of system do you have ?
x800 needs to be completely flushed out which will requires several refills and drained off from every drop in the house as it can be quite aggressive to pumps and knacker them up

What makes you think you need to clean it? Check the system water, fill a glass from a radiator and take a pic side on and top down with it sitting on something with writing on it. If it's clear/clean leave it alone and just add inhibitor.

What makes you think you need to clean it? Check the system water, fill a glass from a radiator and take a pic side on and top down with it sitting on something with writing on it. If it's clear/clean leave it alone and just add inhibitor.

Thanks. It's not had any inhibitor in it for at least 2 years. Hence my thoughts about cleaning it first.

If the system is clean and clear then no cleaning is needed and in fact you could probably get away without adding inhibitor as the system is stable and not actively corroding.

That being said it's always best practice to use inhibitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back