Cleaning/restoring old wooden block/tiles on hall floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have wooden tiles/blocks in my hallway which overlay the original pine floorboards. The tiles are 4.5 inches square and each tile is made up of 5 strips of wood. These tiles are laid alternately giving a parquet type effect. The tiles are 1cm in depth and appear to be glued down with something black. Apart from one edge - in a doorway, the tiles appear to be in good condition and well glued down. A few bits are coming loose in the doorway. My question is - is this floor worth keeping and if so, how should I go about restoring and cleaning it? Am not sure what the tiles are made of - possibly oak/some sort of hard wood? Am not sure of the finish - is slightly shiny.
Any help/ideas gratefully recieved!

Sponsored Links
Remove the damaged blocks, clean the old adhesive away and re-stick with something like this:
http://www.sourcewoodfloors.co.uk/shop/sika-t2-cartridge.html

If the rest of the floor is in good condition, and depending on the size of area you could hire a floor/belt sander to remove the existing varnish. You can then re-finish with a couple of coats of a good quality floor stain/varnish and it will look like new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back