Cleaning sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've had some large sandstone coping stones stored for a few years, and finally getting put on my extension, they are dirty and covered in green mold, what is the best way to clean them, what products are best used, and Is there anything that can be used to seal them to stop further mold growth, cheers

Sponsored Links
I find products such as Algon quite effective - but you MUST leave them to do their job and not be tempted to high pressure wash afterwards. They have a slight acidic odour but don't seem to harm the sandstone. Wouldn't suggest you use it on limestone though as acid will dissolve it.

Alternative to Algon is Patio Magic which does the same job but does not appear to be acid based. Again.must be left to do its job.

After that it's a case of repeating each year.

If they are really grotty then I suppose a pressure wash to remove most of the surface growth would be useful but allow to fully dry before applying the chemical treatment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back