Sandstone coping stones - what to use between them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got some nice sandstone coping stones to put on top of my new front garden wall.
I am intending to fix them onto the wall with a standard mortar mix but I'm not sure what to use top fill the gaps between them once they are fitted.
I don't want to use the same mortar as i think it will be too dark. The stones are a very light sandstone colour, sort of off-white with no yellow in them at all really.
What should I use?
Thanks, P

Sponsored Links
You can use a blend of yellow sands and white cement rather than grey cement, this will give you a brighter colour, if you wanted to dull the colour down, adding either or a combination of dark sands or grey cement to the mix will do this. I would suggest sampling out some mix designs until you are happy with the colour/tone, allow the mix to dry fully before making your decision, as wet mix colours, will alter as they dry.
Putting a plasticizer in the mix will help it blend and a waterproof agent for obvious reasons.

There are also pigments and dyes available for colour toning.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a pain! But I guess there's no easy way round this one.

Sponsored Links
Mixing colour additives will not last, the colour will simply drain out over a couple of years.

You either experiment with sands to get the right colour or use a pre batched mortar in the right colour.

Something like easipoint made by parex or larsen gpm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back