Fixing metal railings INTO coping stones

I think you’re entering a world of pain trying to do that so it looks pukka.

But, if you don’t do it, you’ll always be wondering how good it could’ve looked. The question I’d be asking myself is how much it will cost to replace the buggered up coping stones should it all go tits up.

Sponsored Links
For those of you talking about the railings acting as a leverage point. It is simply not true. To use the railings as a leverage would involve pushing the whole fence over. If the ends of the railings are bedded into the brickwork at each end and any return legs are also embedded in brickwork it will be impossible to push over without some kind of heavy machinery. If the fence is going to do anything it may actually help to secure the coping stones better than just laying on a mortar bed.
To the OP. Get your drilling accurate. Try a dry fit first and check it's level. Mix your resin and, as suggested, mix in some dust from the drilling and you should get an almost perfect, if not perfect, match to the copings. Bear in mind that it will all weather over time and generally match itself out.

For those of you talking about the railings acting as a leverage point. It is simply not true.
The railings will have thermal movement issues to consider.

To the OP. Get your drilling accurate. Try a dry fit first and check it's level. Mix your resin and, as suggested, mix in some dust from the drilling and you should get an almost perfect, if not perfect, match to the copings. Bear in mind that it will all weather over time and generally match itself out.
You make it sound so easy. Have you ever worked with anchor resin?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back