Fixing a balustrade post to cast stone coping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a low parapet wall that I wish to mount a ballustrate above - to do this I need to fix vertical posts onto the coping stones. These are once weathered cast stone copings, which means the top surface is at an angle. If I mount the post base onto these directly the post will be off vertical.

Any ideas on how to mount this:

onto this

whilst keeping the post vertical?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I'd rotate it so that two of the bolts are packed with S/S shims or washers, and then carefully grout underneath with resin or similar.

The bigger problem is that it won't take much force to dislodge the coping if someone leans a bit hard on the top of the balustrade. You will need some additional fixing into the brickwork to prevent this, either dowelling through the coping or maybe or perhaps using some extra long resin anchors drilled deep into the wall to connect the balustrade.

I'd rotate it so that two of the bolts are packed with S/S shims or washers, and then carefully grout underneath with resin or similar.

The bigger problem is that it won't take much force to dislodge the coping if someone leans a bit hard on the top of the balustrade. You will need some additional fixing into the brickwork to prevent this, either dowelling through the coping or maybe or perhaps using some extra long resin anchors drilled deep into the wall to connect the balustrade.

Thanks for the idea. What sort of resin grout did you have in mind? I did think of packing it up but couldn't work out how to finish it properly.

With reagrds to the top of the post - I will be fixing a handrail to it, the ends of which will be firmly fixed to the walls. The opening is only 2m not too much but wide enough for me to need a central post to fix the glass panels to.

What is it with teccies and resin anchors these days as if they are a magical panacea for all things fixed to masonry?

In a lot of cases expanding bolts will do.

However in this case i think the O.P. needs to approach fixing differently i.e. face fixing to the lower courses etc.

Sponsored Links
What is it with teccies and resin anchors these days as if they are a magical panacea for all things fixed to masonry?

In a lot of cases expanding bolts will do.

However in this case i think the O.P. needs to approach fixing differently i.e. face fixing to the lower courses etc.
I think the OP is set on using this detail.

If the opening is only two metres and the handrail is continuous then top fixing shouldn't be a problem.

Expanding bolts are often fine, but in this case I would still want a long enough fixing to get to a decent depth in the masonry.

That is a very good call actually - I will investigate further.

Thanks to you both for the ideas. I will report back.

Rather than faf about with washers and resins and end up with a cludge, why don't you take the metalwork to a machine shop and get them till mill the bottom off at an angle. Supply them with the angle you want, or a sample of the stone and once the mill is set up they can just slice off the base of them all.

Nozzle

Rather than faf about with washers and resins and end up with a cludge, why don't you take the metalwork to a machine shop and get them till mill the bottom off at an angle. Supply them with the angle you want, or a sample of the stone and once the mill is set up they can just slice off the base of them all.

Nozzle

Another very good call and one that would work well. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back