Parapet Wall Coping Stone Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're just building a single storey extension that will have a flat roof, with a parapet wall.

I'm having a bit of an issue with finding once weathered stone copings that will suit my needs and are within budget.

The width of the wall is 350mm, giving me a coping stone of 500mm, thus allowing a 75mm overhang each side.

Is there any reason why I can't use a flat coping stone (with the drip grooves), but use a thicker bed of mortar to create a slope towards the flat roof?

The building is of stone construction with around >25mm mortar joints, so won't look out of place if I thicken the external mortar bed up and slim down the mortar bed on the flat roof side.

Thoughts? Or is this a big no no? The coping stones, must be made from real stone.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a specific reason I'd advise a 450mm coping on a 350mm wall. A 75mm overhand would look too heavy. Personally I don't ever worry too much about the weathering. We've fitted flat copings with a few mm slope many times and it has never caused an issue. For my money the important thing is to make sure you've got good drip grooves and also get the joints right. We use a quality polysulphide sealant - never mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back