roof coping stones fell.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A run of coping stones fell last night. Approx 4m x 0.6. The roof pitch is way steeper than 45 degrees. We also look out over the Bristol channel so there can be LOTS of wind and rain. Now, when we are finding quotations should we be asking for the stones to be mechanically fixed as well as mortar? The top corner of the outside stone wall has been damaged to in the fall. Either the coping stones took the wall or the wall was holding the coping stones.

They are lots more coping stones on other parts of this victorian building, should they be checked out also?

We are hoping our buildings insurer will cover it. But in the meantime we'll need to make a temp repair as all the lead flashings are open.

Sponsored Links
There are more modern ways of coping with the wind blowing the slates of the verges. I have seen the coping fitted with a sort of key stone at the top of the wall, it sounds like that has given way and the stones have given way,but I have also seen them mechanically fixed with steel bars which could of rusted of course, but I would certainly get the others looked at as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back