Cleaning / servicing a 3 way valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a Sunvic MK1453 (3 way valve) around 2 years ago, however the internal mechanism often gets stuck when trying to reach the hot water position. I opened the valve and cleaned it using a plastic brush (as shown in the photo below) not to make any damages:

Brush.jpg

It worked for a bit but the mechanism is still getting stuck. When it happens, if I tap the 3 way valve (not the actuator), it frees the internal mechanism and it rotates to the required position. If I remove the actuator and try to move the mechanism by hand, I can notice it is quite a bit stiffer than when it was brand new.

Is there a way to clean the internal mechanism of a 3 way valve effectively without causing any damages? I would like to give this a try before having to fork out another £70.

Basically I would like to make it move smoother but I am worried I cause more damages if I use fine sanding paper.

PS: I am also not sure if I can start using product such as WD40 in my system, might be pretty pointless as the water would just remove most of it right away...

Thanks,
Ant

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back