Cleaning System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I found a few entries about cleaning CH system, but I have a combi boiler and no tanks, so I've bought some fernox and intend putting it in the radiators, I thought I would remove either the bleed nut or the one the other end and poor the fernox in a funnel with a tube into the radiator, my question is what size tube do I need, I don't know if the hole on one side of the radiator is bigger than the other.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Best to buy fernox express.

However...
If it has a chrome fitting either end it will be 1/2inch.
Drain down remove both ends from one rad and use a 15mm X 1/2inch bent iron to copper fitted into rad put funnel in that and pour in.

Ps if u have a serious circulation issue u won't solve it with out a power flushing machine

Why are you cleaning it? If it works fine, then why bother. If you're paranoid then install a magnaclean or spiro.

Totally agree with Dex, there's loads of hype & smoke n mirrors about system cleanliness.
Take a pH reading of your system water, see what's it's like & action on that. Don't drain if you don't need to.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Maybe I should have explained more, I'm in the process of buying a 1960's bungalow, looking at the Boiler (Baxi Combi 100), I would guess that it's @ 10 years old, one of the radiators in particular is very rusty, currently there is no pressure in the system but we know it was serviced in April this year, so we assume that it's working, I might ask if we can top up and test the system before we exchange, but they don't come across as the type of people that want to 'screw me over'. So, I've already bought the Fernox, it was on offer, not particularly expensive so I thought I would get it, put it in the system, let it circulate a few days and then empty out the system and replace the Rusty Radiator. At the same time I'll put TRV's on the Radiators (all but 1, where the room Thermostat is) as there are no TRV's, someone told me to get Drayton TRV's rather than the cheap ones.
So, back to my question, if I gate some plastic tube from ebay or a pet store of 12mm outside diameter, that should go into the hole where I remove the crome cap?

I have been looking at the 'magnetic cleaners', a few people say to stay away from the Magnaclean, but the Trapex one looks Good @ £60 Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BPBTJ...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I2YKUUE2J48D4G

I hadn't heard of the Spiro, found this one on Amazon @ £82

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007PEJL...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I2OD4M5PW77CMZ

20 year spirolife guarantee is good.

Thanks Again,

anymore advice \ help?

Steve

If there's no pressure in the system , assume the worst and reflect it in your offer. If it was just a simple task to put some pressure in the system , the vendors would have done it

Dave may be right. It depends if the house is unoccupied since it may (??) be the case that it's been drained down to prevent a burst especially with the forthcoming likely inclement weather.

Whatever happens, if you go for a new boiler it'll need powerflushing as part of the commissioning process which will no doubt open it's own can of worms.

Thanks. We've been to the bungalow today and the CH was on and worker well, so that's good news.

So, back to my question, if I gate some plastic tube from ebay or a pet store of 12mm outside diameter, that should go into the hole where I remove the chrome cap?

I have been looking at the 'magnetic cleaners', a few people say to stay away from the Magnaclean, but the Trapex one looks Good @ £60 Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BPBTJ...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I2YKUUE2J48D4G

I hadn't heard of the Spiro, found this one on Amazon @ £82

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007PEJL...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I2OD4M5PW77CMZ

20 year spirolife guarantee is good.

Any thoughs on Magnetic Cleaners? I think some of it is everyone has there favorites, but I won't go for Magnaclean.

Thanks Again,

Steve

Magna clean are good but we dub them magnaleak , also be careful , zero pressure could mean leaks any where and or prv activated , if pipe work goes under concrete to feed rads I would go against a flush , sentinel x800 to be added in the system and ran for no longer than five days . And make sure it's flushed out , it's potent cleaner , the heating may have been working on arrival but that doesn't mean there couldn't be an issue , was the rads boiling hot and was the pressure under 2.5 bar at boiler , the Baxi 100 is an old boiler but not a bad one , just don't assume because it's had a service everything is ok , a service is just for safety and not really for operation

Also get the fernox f1 express if you can ,make sure one rad has a 1/2 inch cap but don't assume it's a cleaner as such , more of a neutraliser / system protector

X800 did the job on mine in the end.

Runs much better. Not combi so easy for me to add.

Thanks again for the helpful replies, can't do anything now until I own the bungalow, but at least I know what to do once the vendors solicitor decides to do some work.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back