Cleaning up loft after re-roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Last week we had our roof felt and tiles replaced - looks nice and we are hopefully watertight finally.

A lot of mess got into the loft space, I assume just and dirt from under the tiles, and loads of black dust I assume from the old felt (1950's).

Where the floor deck is, it was of course easy to clean up with a broom and hoover, but what can I do with the 2m all around the edges where there is just insulation - almost new 300mm earthwool? Hoovering gently has failed, and I'm not keen to turn it all over.

I mainly just want the clean deck area, and our accumulated junk, to stay fairly clean.

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Board out vertically short of the eaves so you never get to see it, ie mini stud walls along eaves. Drop 2x2 from each rafter to deck, put plasterboard/ply/whatever on

Sponsored Links
Are you going to be holding dinner parties up there? Just dust off the boxes before you bring them down.(y)

And when you've finished vacuuming the loft, run the duster around the patio and Mr Sheen on the fence panels.

The cleanest loft conversion/re roof I ever went into had every bit of insulation removed and there were two lads just finishing off with two very large industrial vacuum cleaners. I would add though, the work was being carried out by one of the larger contractors in the area, who normally didn't take on smaller jobs, but it was for his daughter.
Although where I live the roofs near the sea front fill up very quickly. Just surveyed one, a 1950's council house, must have been at least 50mm of sand on the original insulation and the two top up layers,

And when you've finished vacuuming the loft, run the duster around the patio and Mr Sheen on the fence panels.

I do hoover the decking, gets it looking great when properly clean.

I take yours and noseall's points.... I had just been used to a dust-free space, where I could remove boxes without any need to clean them. And having laid the insulation myself in a painfully hot summer, I was disappointed it was now covered in **** !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back