Cleaning up steelies...blast? dip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a couple of tyreless steelies that I want to tidy up before I put new tyres on em.
Rust on backs, 5 wheel sprayed on front, was a bad job (not me guv, honest) and rust is coming back through all over.

Have had limited success on backs with grinder and wire cup, nooks and crannies are elusive though.

Whats the best/easiest/cheapest/most expensive/most difficult way to get these up before respraying with cans.

I've got a tin of paint stripper, rust killer, cans of zinc, hammerite etc etc and will just 5 wheel em again.

Sponsored Links
Get them shot blasted if you can, mate - there are so many nooks and crannies on wheels its about the only way to do them properly.
If you don't want that, then treat with Kurust rust killer (paints on pink, changes to black when the jobs done) followed by Hammerite anti rust primer, followed by aerosol top coat then lacquer.
John :)

if they are bad, they need grit blast

for a cheap job, wire brush and Kurust. I would use a metal preservative primer and black paint, brushed on, will be better and cheaper than an aerosol spray.

but ask at your local scrapyard, steel wheels are cheap.

Ah yes the magic kurust, have some somewhere.
One isn't too bad, the other one is, I'll probably go nuts on the bad one with chemicals and just hand abrade the other. Prime both. Brush black hammerite on the backs and silver spray the fronts.

Sponsored Links
Get them bead blasted. Shot blasting will be a bit too harsh.
Should be looking at around £10 a rim.
If you want them looking the nuts, think about getting them powder coated afterwards.

Like the sound of powdercoat, but trust me. It would seriously put the rest of the car to shame!

Back