Shot/sand blasting options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing some testing already so its not entirely from scratch.

For the most I use wire wheels and paint removing pads on the angle grinder, though not a big fan of this it does work.

The problem is getting into the corners. For smaller edges where I may end up welding I can do this by hand and isn't a big issue.

In general I am looking at preparing for paint - so its not entirely important to remove the (flash) rust layer, just any loose rust and paint.

I would have thought sand blasting would have worked better on removing paint over rust, though I'm guessing the difficult parts are where the primer has reacted with the surface. I use phosphate primers (red oxide mostly) so a light rusting is okay.

So I decided to have a look at sand blasting.

First attempt with the cheapest gravity fed gun and very dry sharp sand, didn't really do much. Though would remove the light rusting which im not in need of removing. Modified the gun as well to not block up and feed better with no luck.

Then I moved onto aluminium oxide(60-80 grit) and glass bead with a different "gritblasing gun" SB3 all from Clarke.

People have said about needing a "more powerful compressor" but the power is really only going to help with the recharge rate? Even before I lose some air capacity/pressure I don't seem to be getting any better results than removing the light rust layer over the top of millscale. I am running from 120psi - I shouldn't need higher? The guns suggest 80-100psi. I had a go at connecting it to a neighbours much bigger workshop compressor with similar results.

Then I tried an add on for my pressure washer (135bar, so mid to low sized), which worked just as well as the above but really next to little effect on paint/primer.

Where am I going wrong? If at all?

Sponsored Links
The pressure is OK, but what about the flow? A small valve or pipe can seriously restrict the flow.

Have you considered electrolysis for rust removal? Tank, water and soda + 12 to 24v battery.

Sponsored Links
You need a large compressor (minimum 20 cfm and 120 psi, 200 ltr tank) and that needs to feed the gun with a 3/4" diameter pipe.......anything less is just tickling things, unfortunately.
I have similar issues with the dumper I'm restoring.....I'm trading that task onto someone else.
https://www.enviroblasting.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpfjhfqA8AIVV-7tCh3RqgIWEAAYASAAEgIYjfD_BwE
Happily, this guy lives very close to me.
John :)

Never really thought about the flow being that low but turns out my little thing would be around 8cfm, the other one I used I would estimate around 15-18 from looking at pictures. Will be upgrading if the workshop is ever finished.

The pressure is OK, but what about the flow? A small valve or pipe can seriously restrict the flow.

Have you considered electrolysis for rust removal? Tank, water and soda + 12 to 24v battery.

For smaller parts yes, otherwise I'd be looking at blast cabinets. Though I have a lot of large frames and parts that wouldn't fit even a 50L storage tub. Though its mostly for paint removal than rust, heavy stuff can be knocked off well enough.

Consider a needle descaler.....(not at 8 cfm though) - I’ve hired a mains one which got astonishingly hot, but it did work well enough.
I use one driven by my compressor but once again it empties the tank in a flash and the din is incredible!

Consider a needle descaler.....(not at 8 cfm though) - I’ve hired a mains one which got astonishingly hot, but it did work well enough.
I use one driven by my compressor but once again it empties the tank in a flash and the din is incredible!

I have been looking at them for loose flaky rust, though its never been a problem to clear this out with wire wheel and hand brushes in awkward parts. Would it work with paint/primer?

I have a descaler attachment for my 40 odd year old CP zip gun which has been invaluable.
What ive found is one can give it too much pressure.With the pressure up , while it hits harder it doesn't remove any more scale so wastes air IMO so worth getting the balance just right

I bought one of these over 20 years ago to use with a 14cfm/150ltr compressor to blast a Reliant Scimitar chassis and other bits. Did a great job with 60 grit aluminium oxide and has been in regular use ever since for motor bike frames and the other tinwear. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 20210416_201343.jpg
    20210416_201343.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 89

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back