Clearance for service fuses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to get a smart meter. On first attempt, they couldn't fit it because some idiot built a cupboard frame in front of the service fuse holders, so they can't be removed.

Right now there's just over 3cm in front of the fuse. Does anyone know how much clearance I'm likely to need, as I'm debating the hassle of minor alterations to the cupboard framing Vs getting power distribution in to move it. I can take off 2cm pretty trivially without any visible effect outside the cupboard, giving 5cm clearance. Is that likely to be enough? For obvious reasons I've never seen the fuse out,.so I don't know how long it will be.

Picture attached - the framing at the top has 2cm before it meets external trim.

Attachments

• IMG20240221221508.jpg
    IMG20240221221508.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
That's good to know it means they will never be able to force a smart meter on me ;). But those dimensions only seem to refer to new installations, I know many smart meters have been fitted in such conditions that do not meet those requirements ie under stairs cupboards.

When the doors are open I have approx 4.5m of clearance in front of the meter board with the exception of the tiny corner bit of it where the fuses pop out, which annoyingly has this bit of framing in the way.

What I want to know is how far out does it need to go to physically pop out the fuse. If that was possible to do, the meter guy would have done the meter and we'd all be happy. Plus in the event of it needing taking out for other reasons, someone would be able to do it. Right now, in the event of an emergency requiring isolating the house, someone is going to have to pull the cupboards apart before they can pull it, which I am not happy with. If the fuse won't pop out without 25cm of clearance in front of it, then I have to do something visible externally. If it will pop out with 5 or 6cm in front of the fuse, then I can do internal modification only.

I could get the power distribution company in to move the fuse, but a) it will be more hassle, and b) there's a risk they'll want to mess everything up / decide the whole thing is no good and want it moving at great expense and little point, when it presumably met with whatever their regulations are before idiot kitchen man put the frame of the cupboard in the way.

Sponsored Links
What I want to know is how far out does it need to go to physically pop out the fuse.

The point is, that easy, safe access is needed to all of those items. Safe as in being able to stand, and reach out at arm's length and safely pull that fuse. Dodging around a cupboard, or timber framing, to work on any of that is neither safe, nor acceptable.

If the cupboard really must stay, then make it quickly and easily removable?

I could get the power distribution company in to move the fuse,
The distribution company will need to work live when moving the fuse, This means they will need clear access to the fuse. And you need to maintain that clear access for when the fuse has to be changed

A few years ago a brick wall, part of an extension, was obstructing access to the company fuse and preventing the replacement of a blown main fuse,

The company
Dug down through the driveway to the service cable and capped it off.
Laid in a new service cable to the new meter location,
Fitted a new cutout and main fuse
Connected new service cable to supply

( I believe they uncapped the old cable and live jointed the new service cable to the old cable. This avoided digging up the public highway )

Kitchen fitters , in general, have no regard for regulations …..

What is in front of the service head? Could you post a photo?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back