Grant Mulitpass Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st time post on this forum.

I have a 15 year old Grant Multipass 70/90, it is a kitchen model, so fitted into a white case. Water has started to leak from somewhere, water is seeping out of the front of the boiler from within the case. I would guess I am getting about 500ml of water a day, which is just being soaked up by newspaper placed on the floor at the moment.

All the external visible joints/fittings are bone dry. The leak is internal I think.

I have taken off the oil burner and taken off the front blue door to have a look inside, it seems completely dry in there as far as I can tell in both the top and bottom parts of the boiler.

So I am about to take the boiler out to see where the leak is and will weld the seam joints if that is all it is and if the rest of boiler looks like it still has life left in it.

If I decide to replace the boiler I would like to replace it with another Grant boiler, but they have changed the sizes of the new boilers! The Vortex Eco is 2cm wider than the Multipass, all other dimensions are the same and the locations of flow/return pipes are similar. My Multipass is fitted snuggly into my Utility Room. To make allowance for the extra 2cm would mean extra work, such as modifications to cupboards and work surfaces, so not trivial.

If you study the diagrams for the Vortex Eco and Multipass, the two boilers look very very similar, I believe the extra 2cm width is to allow the 2cm wide tube for the condensate bottle to be bought to the front of the boiler.

So I called Grant Technical Support to ask about how to go about fitting the jacket from a Vortex Eco into the case of the Multipass and was told this was impossible, from the time I called them to when they called me was maybe no more than 30 minutes, so was this request really thought through properly, maybe not. This outright judgement did not seem credible from what I could see, yet it was not possible to engage with the person I spoke with on further discussion. Very sad. It would be easy to cut a hole in the side of the case to allow the condensate bottle to be located to the rear right hand side of the boiler, as that looks like the mail problem.

So has anybody had the same problem and tried the same solution?

The alternatives such as use a Grant External boiler, are possible, but would mean re-routing the oil supply pipes, saftey valves, etc and making a new hole in the wall, then making good again including some re-insulation of the wall, so not trivial either.

Unless somebody has a better idea, or somebody from Grant is reading this and believes this is actually feasible, sadly my likely solution is to change to a Worcester boiler, which is 3cm narrower than the Multipass.

And Yes, Grant say they have no spares at all for the Multipass 70/90.

Sponsored Links
Why do you say sadly the only option is a Worcester? The new models are great the easiest to service on the market. And you'll get at least a 5 year guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Bite the bullet and fit an External Grant, probably less work involved than fitting a Wooster ****e box

I am not completely anti Worcester to be sure, and Yes there is a gap large enough to take a Worcester so it is not out of the question.

As for an getting an External Grant, I know you will all say I am silly, but I do fear for how long the case would last, I live an exposed hillside rural location, wind and rain drives hard on things around here, items in our garden do not last as long as they should.

Still thinking about options, have just put Sentinel Leak Stop in this morning in the hope this will slow the leak a little while I work out what to do. Will not be leaving it this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back