Thermecon Oil Boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber is about to give me a quote for a new central heating system and says that he only recommends installing Thermecon Oil Boilers because they are the best. Does anyone have any views? Is this the case or is there just a special offer on at his builders merchants?

I was originally going to go for a Grant (Vortex or Multipass) or a Worcester-Bosch and still haven't decided whether to go condensing or not.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: well, weve all got views, wot he meant was, he thinks they are the best.

what i think is....
they are not the best, especially the balanced flue options, the build quality on the flue is weak, cos ive been to a few that leak exhaust /inlet .
maybe theyve sorted it?

other than that, theyre a pain to work on.......when im working on one..im thinking..."what buffooon designed this??"

other than that mate they re great. ish.

:eek:

addendum.....
for example, to service the latest thermecons, you have to remove boiler/limit stat and stat box just to get to the access plate to clean the baffles..... i mean, every one else manages to build a boiler without that marlarcky....
poor poor design. but thats not your problem. other than that they use standard burner components, which are as reliable/unreliable as each other.

moan over :LOL:

and any thermecon lawyers out there can ..reeelaxxxx :LOL:

Well I have always prefered the grant Boilers, but went to a Greenstar for a 6month checkup and it was as clean as a whistle.

Sponsored Links
can i say ive never done a condensing boiler yet :eek:

youve obviously got a better clientle down their dia. :cool:

i guess this is the fens.......where they filmed "deliverance"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The fuel consumption is noticably lower possible as much as 25% for a replacement.

Ok so not talking 3 bed semi but still impressive

edumacate me, what about the return temp? to achieve condensing thingamy..errr i aint got a clue :rolleyes: you know , well to achieve 25% you must do.

any secrets?? if so pm me :LOL:

If the price is right they are OK but its horses for courses.
The Heating World Grandee oil boiler is small and will fit within a 600mm wide 1000mm high kitchen base unit. I've used them and like their wall mounted oil boiler, but not yet tried their combi.
The Grant Vortex is a high efficiency condensing boiler, more expensive but good value for money. Unlike domestic gas you don't yet need to legally fit an oil condensing boiler.
Worcester Danesmoor boilers are fit and forget (apart from routine servicing), by that I mean good.
Check out Boulter Buderus, Merlin & Firebird - all have merits but as I said horses for courses.

I agree with most of the sentiments here, but Thermecon are fine at heating water, and a real pain to work on when they fail, (I think I ought to charge extra as a punishment for buying something cheap).

Your bloke who says they're the best, don't let him do the job, get someone else who will tell you the truth, as he's a liar. How many more lies will he tell? They are not the best, he just gets a good margin, that's best for him.

Do you need a floor standing boiler? What about a wall mount?

Thermecon - cheap n` nasty

Ecoflam burner - cheaper and nastier

I refuse to service these boilers

You got it right the first time - Grant Vortex, cracking piece of kit

we'd suggest a grant Vortex, a worcester Greenstar (some installers can offer a 4yr warranty at the mo) or if you want the bestest, an Archie Kidd VHE boiler.

Trevor, look at the OP date, you're a tad late.

Grant Vortex aren't any more a cracking piece of equipment than many other oil boilers, except to a GrantUK salesman. All condensing oil boilers are an expensive indulgence at present, and NOT a way of saving money. There are non-condensing boilers which are nearly as efficient, and a more economic solution.

For instance, what is the payback period for a Vortex when compared to a Multipass? You need real figures, not the SEDBUK fiction.

Did you know that non condensing oil boilers are capped at no higher than SEDBUK C, even if they can achieve a higher efficiency?

Why have the Government done that?

I think the SEDBUK scheme is a nonsense, and doesn't give any more accurate indication of fuel usage than the ridiculous EEC car MPG statistics.

However, a condensing boiler is more efficient - it has to be, because of the specific latent heat of evaporation. Even if the boiler only condenses part of the time it is still going to be more efficient than a non condenser. However, most condensers we fit seem to be pluming for most of the time, suggesting they are in high efficiency mode.

I think the best way of demonstrating efficiency is to hold the flue while the boiler is running. If your hand melts, your boiler is discharging significant quantities of useful energy outside. If it is touchable, your boiler is minimising fuel wastage.

How many of your fav boilers can you touch the flue, Oilman?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back