nightmare thermecon oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need help :!: I had a 40/60 floor mounted Thermecon oil boiler 2 and half years ago and it has never worked properly from the start.
The plumber recomended it because I have a 5 bed house. The problem is that I cant control the boiler with room stat to get heat on. When it does eventually come on ( sporadically) I only get heat upstairs. If I shut off the rad valves upstairs to get heat downstairs only two of the five get a little heat(total rads in house is 11). My plumber has been over 4 times in the past 10 days and replaced the pump still the problem persists on the last visit he admited he had no clue as to how to solve this(needless to say he is not returning my calls) with three young kids in this weather not ideal. Is there anyone out there who can advise the valleys are only going to get colder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Before anything else a 5 bed house would be too large for the 40/60 model unless all the rooms were matchbox size or you have the last word in thermally efficient house construction.

If its a cavity wall house with loft insulation it should be pretty adequate. About right if you insulate the cavity.

It sounds to me as if the rads are sludged up. Did the installer power flush the system before fitting the new boiler?

Its quite possible the system just needs some balancing.

Tony

Agile the 40/60 is the smallest in the range. The OP said the installer recommended because of 5 bedroom house. When you consider that you would ideally need return temperatures above 60C to prevent back end corrosion would you choose the smallest output available unless you were completely sure of heatloss calcs ? OP needs to give description of house eg. is it detached, stone walls, single glazed etc or as Agile suggested.

Sponsored Links
I agree Nixt, 15 kw is not enough.

the op is jibberish anyway.

excuse the jibberish wilheim! My house is a 5bed end terrace, no cavity 50cm stone wall. Will have to check te size of boiler and will get back to you. system was flushed when new boiler was installed only 3 of the rads are over 3 years.

Agile the 40/60 is the smallest in the range. The OP said the installer recommended because of 5 bedroom house. When you consider that you would ideally need return temperatures above 60C to prevent back end corrosion would you choose the smallest output available unless you were completely sure of heatloss calcs ? OP needs to give description of house eg. is it detached, stone walls, single glazed etc or as Agile suggested.

Hi Nixt.
"When you consider that you would ideally need return temperatures above 60C to prevent back end corrosion "
Can you explain what it mean? :confused:

sorry all :oops: , 60/80 is the size of the boiler ! would that shift emphasis from the boiler

Yes - Basically if the boiler fires and runs without going to lockout then your problems are elsewhere.

what happens is the boiler fires when it feels like, I have loads of hot tap water shower etc but absolutely jack s heating downstairs

Incorrect system wiring or faulty motorised valve. The boiler never fires when it wants - it can only work when external controls demand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back