Thermecon Oil Boilers?

That may be so, but you have not answered the question, what is the payback period?

Sponsored Links
On one thing I can agree

Sedbuk is a waste of time

I think the point you are trying to make oilman is lost in the fact that the running costs for a non condenser will always be higher.

I don't need SEDBUK or anyone else to dictate efficiency figures to me. My flue gas analyser tells me all I need to know.

The multipass is without question an efficient boiler but I have seen many of them sweating like hell into a mild steel shell, how long do you think they will last compared to a stainless steel condensing unit, how soon will the customer have to replace a corroded boiler ?

You can make a condensing boiler out of any boiler but that does not mean they are "cost effective". I think this needs to be taken into account when calculating payback time.

Good topic and food for thought

When one is replacing a standard efficiency oiler with a very high efficiency unit I calculate the payback to be typically in the 3-4 year area.

If you already have a boiler like a Grant Multipass then the gains are going to be marginal, may be only 8% at best, and it certainly isn't worth the expense.

However, I would always recommend a condensing new unit in preference to a non condenser. Archie Kidd has proven the design of condensing oil boilers, most of his from 1982 onwards are still in service out there. I don't think there is anything wrong with condensers, if they are built and installed correctly and carefully to prevent corrosion based damage.

Certainly some of the modern designs have very small diameter condense outlets which may get blocked with shale etc. with potentially damaging consequences. Time will tell.

Sponsored Links
simond said:

If you already have a boiler like a Grant Multipass then the gains are going to be marginal, may be only 8% at best, and it certainly isn't worth the expense.

"..........may be only 8% at best,.........." the wording is a bit of a giveaway, this, if I'm not mistaken, an unsupported guess. We can get readings from an analyser, but these do not tell you how much oil you are going to use, and will only apply to a system that is designed and run to ensure constant condensing. Then there is what to do with the condensate, and the costs of extra work in servicing a condensing boiler. All the turbulators need to be withdrawn to check on a Vortex for instance.

If you already have a boiler, then it is not worth the expenxe in global resource terms, changing it until it leaks water, and even then, as a diy approach the shell could be replaced or welded. The extra costs of a condensing boiler are in line with other daft ideas like wind turbines and solar panels.

Turn the temperature down by 1 degree, and save that way, MUCH cheaper. You don't have to go around using the supply of stainless steel.

It seems condensing oil boilers are the idea of politicians, who want to pretend to be doing something whilst jetting round the world to talk about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back