1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Grant 70/90 Multipass - Leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by luap2411, 31 May 2017.

1. luap2411

luap2411

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

I think I know the answer to this one, but just want to explore all options before facing a painful bill.

I have a Grant 70/90 multipass, sealed system oil condensing boiler. It was installed about 17 years ago. Water locally is very soft and not aggressive.

Boiler has started to leak small pool of water underneath. It's floor standing and difficult to get to, so hard to do any easy investigation. I'm coaxing it to run at the moment by re-pressurising and bleeding off the air.

I'm guessing the jacket has failed and the boiler is probably US, but before I condem it is there anything else that's worth investigating. Assume it has a heat exchanger (?) but can't seem to find an exploded diagram. Presumably once the burner and cover was off this would be easy to check.

Any ideas, or am I just kidding myself and need to fork out £1500 plus fitting....Gulp

Thanks

2. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's fooked....time for a new one.

3. leakydave

leakydave

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some Fernox leak sealer could buy you a little time but it is almost certainly time to replace it.

4. simond

simond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Multipass isn't a condensing boiler btw. Welding doesn't usually work.

5. luap2411

luap2411

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All

Just a quick update on this one for anyone searching threads in the future. I know the boiler is on borrowed time but put a 500ml bottle of Fernox F4 in the system about a week and a half ago. For now, no leaks, boiler hold pressure etc (touch wood). So at least hoping this buys me some time to save the pennies. Luckily if worst happens, where boiler is located any bad leak will just drain away.

Thanks for all the help.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local