Clearing ground for extension plus hardcore needed for it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions. I'm going to extend my house at the back next year

1. There's currently a 4 inch concrete base where the extension will go. I presume the extension ground works wont be able to incorporate this and it needs clearing so there's just a soil site?

2. I'm also taking out an entire chimney and stack. Will the bricks from this or the lumps of concrete from a path outside be useful for hardcore for the extension or will smaller or different hardcore be needed?

Sponsored Links
1. There's currently a 4 inch concrete base where the extension will go. I presume the extension ground works wont be able to incorporate this and it needs clearing so there's just a soil site?
Correct. The 'oversite' preparation usually needs digging down in excess of 400mm below dpc.

2. I'm also taking out an entire chimney and stack. Will the bricks from this or the lumps of concrete from a path outside be useful for hardcore for the extension or will smaller or different hardcore be needed?
Depends. If the extension oversite is on a slope or there is a large amount of contaminated back-fill to remove, then these deep areas can be filled with large lumps of hard core.

However, if the oversite is only asking for say 100mm of fill then mot type1 stone is the most suitable.

Correct. The 'oversite' preparation usually needs digging down in excess of 400mm below dpc.

There might be the odd exception, Noseall.
I have a 3 metre X 3metre (about 100mm thick) slab of concrete outside where the extension is going. The BCO asked what I intended to do with it. I told him I'd break it up but leave it there. He said to not bother breaking it up, just leave it there. He reckoned, if I shifted it I'd probably have to clear a bit deeper.
Mind you, the top of it is about 500mm below dpc, so it's already below your 400mm so there's more to go on top of it yet.

Depends. If the extension oversite is on a slope or there is a large amount of contaminated back-fill to remove, then these deep areas can be filled with large lumps of hard core.

However, if the oversite is only asking for say 100mm of fill then mot type1 stone is the most suitable.

It still needs whacking about every 150mm, doesn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back