Clearing out a cavity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just exchanged on our first house with a fair amount of outstanding work to be done double storey with lots of internal works to complete , and single extension with no roof on or wall plate etc at present, just basically a foundation with the brickwork and blockwork built up to the required height and opening for windows and doors.
The cavity is filled with rockwool insulation and has been left open to weathering for at least a couple of years, my question is:
Will this have affected the brickwork/blockwork in terms of dampness etc, or any other problem that would mean we would have to take the brickwork/blockwork down and start again?
if not how do we go about removing the wet/weathered insulation form in-between the cavity and wall ties?
A long rake? Or take some old the internal blockwork down then clear out and build back up again with new insulation in?

If we can rake it out how do we go about pushing the new insulation all the way back down there to fill the who cavity back in?

Sorry if this sounds daft but not sure and thought I would ask on here before is attempt to do anything
P.S I may be asking a fair few question on here soon as have lottttttsss to do!!! Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can give

Sponsored Links
the wall will be very wet but it will dry out. The mineral wool is treated so it is not absorbent.

Thanks john, I just noted that from looking at it the colour has gone from yellow in its original form to greyish looking and thought it would all need to come back out and replaced. So can this be left in as it is? And just continue the remaining work for the roof and windows etc?
Unless the rock wool has always grey and I'm daft as a brush which maybe the case haha
Here is a picture to show what I mean View media item 59863

Sponsored Links
As a builder, if the call was mine, then i would pull down the blockwork and re-insulate and re-build.

With respect john, sodden mineral wool slumps, and has created havoc in cavities by causing cold spots and condensation on the inner skin - there's no guarantee that it will dry out if wind blown moisture keeps coming thro the brick skin.

OP,
Perhaps you could post pics of the whole extn site?

I was thinking, if you had to pull it out, you could poke Kingspan in. Easier to be sure it has gone all the way without rucking, and is a better insulator per thickness.

Thanks Dan,
I will get some more pictures up soon as I have only really taken shots of this area at present as it was something I wanted a little
advice on prior to deciding whats best to do.
Is it not possible to somehow take the old stuff out and as John suggests poke kingspan in? I want it doing right but at the same time looking for the easiest and cheapest way possible.
Or if taking down, just a few courses of the blockwork so it's easier to rake out still?

Normal kingspan isn't designed for a full fill cavity. You need something like Aerofullfill which is specially made for the job. However I can't see you getting it into the cavity properly without taking the blockwork down, which isn't really a big job on an extension of that size.

Thanks Stuart, i think using this stuff and just taking out a few courses so it can be pushed into the cavity should be ok.

having thought about it more, you will be getting a bricklayer in to finish the job, so maybe it would be best to take down the wet blockwork and rebuild.

You will have problems taking the unsulation out and possibly Kingspan in.
There are wall ties in the way!!

Yes, I mentioned the wall ties in my
original post, i think realistically the blockwork is going to have to come down and more or less start from scratch :cry:

If you can get it all out i don't see why you could not get a cavity company to fill it must cheaper or buy poly beads from one.

Photos are gone now so a bit of a stab in the dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back