Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I arranged for BG to come round and inspect the property to see if I would be eligible for free cavity wall insulation. The guy came round and said it wouldn't be possible as the property has rake brick work which has an increased risk of water ingress.

I know nothing about brickwork and wondered if it is at all possible to get cavity wall with rake back brickwork. I did have someone come around previously from BG who said it could be done so I am a little confused.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a few pre-qualifying factors before deciding whether you property is suitable for CWI. The property should have no pre-existing damp problems, it should not be in an exposed location and the cavity must be a minimum of 50mm wide.
Avoid blown fibre at all costs if you decide to have it installed, I have carried out hundreds of thermal imaging surveys and not seen it installed properly yet. Moreover, it is not inherently waterproof and can cause moisture transfer from outer to inner leaf of masonry. Insist on bonded polystyrene beads! I explain the problem here... http://buildingdefectanalysis.co.uk/damp/what-exactly-is-the-problem-with-cavity-wall-insulation/

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The walls have the appropriate space. Unfortunately BG don't do the beads so looks like a no go for now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back