cavity insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my property is a gable end terrace its about 85 yrs old .i recieved a grant for cavity wall insulation and a surveyor came round drilled a few holes in the walls and said we would be fine having it introduced into the cavity.But i have air bricks at low level on the outside,And wondered if it would hinder the process.A colleage of mine said i shouldnt be having it done as the cavity is there to let the walls and floor breath.what should i do any advice would be great.cheers

Sponsored Links
the air bricks must not be blocked as they are to ventilate the space under the floor. They probably already have sleeves so give a "tunnel" through the wall. If they don't the insulation installers should fit them. You might be able to tell by poking a bit of stiff wire through. If necessary you could fit a sleeve yourself.

Sponsored Links
We have had totally the same debate. After a couple of years we came to the conclusion that our house should be able to breath as the draughts creep in everywhere. We took the plunge about a month ago and the barometer on a north outside wall is generally reading at a higher temperature than I would expect and I think the house is generally a bit warmer than it would be after the heating has been switched off. I must admit I wasn't worried about the air bricks - none of the infill leaked out in that area and even if there are a few spots the infill didn't get into, a 98% filled house was probably better than none.

We went with Domestic & General and they were very efficient and willing to answer my questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back