Cleat size for SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am running some SWA 6943X 3 core 2.5mmsq up to my shed.

What size cleats do I need. I cant find any size guide that relates size x to cable diameter

Also, while I am here, is it better to put an RCD socket in the shed or an RCD adapter in the house where the SWA will be plugged in (I cannot wire it in direct to the house)

Sponsored Links
I use TLC as a guide.

As holmslaw suggests, you'll need to gland the cable at both ends to maintain the earth for the armour. This is a must if the cable is to be buried.

As others point out, SWA cannot be wired into a plug as both ends need the armor wires earthed, really the installation you suggest needs hard wiring, not plugging in, but if you must plug it in you will need a suitable box at the house end (BESA, Adaptable etc) to terminate the armor with a proper gland and lead out to a flex suitable for a plug. however if we are talking 13A plug here then it the 2.5mm cable is overkill seeing as you cant draw more than 13A / 3KW on the plug.

Personally I would consult an electrician even if you do some of the work under his/her guidance in order it be done properly at the house.

Sponsored Links
I did not express myself properly and you guys are quick to criticise

I'm not going to ire the SWA directly into a plug - I'm not THAT stupid !

I will gland it into a IP rated JB outside and then go through the wall (protecting the cable of course) with flex to terminate on a plug

The 2.5mm is what I have left over from a job. I know it's overkill, but it's also free !

however if we are talking 13A plug here then it the 2.5mm cable is overkill seeing as you cant draw more than 13A / 3KW on the plug.

Voltage Drop?
Yes, tony, voltage drop.

You do not say how far your shed is from the incoming supply. The fuse may be 13amp but (unless the cable is large enough) you may not get enough volts at the shed once a/the load is applied.

So a 13amp fuse may well be appropriate (especially if you are "spurring" from a ring final. You might also need 10mm² cable,,, what size did you work out when you did your cable calculations?

You make a fair point on voltage drop, but i'm assuming the shed is not a huge distance from the house - of course a calculation should be made based on exact measurements and taking into account how the cable is laid etc. etc .

I am running some SWA 6943X 3 core 2.5mmsq up to my shed.
How far?

Clipped to what?

What testing do you plan to carry out, and how?

Do you have a TN-C-S supply and extraneous conductive parts in the shed?

Do you live in England or Wales?

... and then go through the wall (protecting the cable of course) with flex to terminate on a plug
That's disgusting.

The 2.5mm is what I have left over from a job. I know it's overkill, but it's also free !
How come if you've got the cable "left over from a job" you don't know how to install it? Or can't even measure the size of it?

(I cannot wire it in direct to the house)
Then get someone who can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back