SWA to my Garage

Sponsored Links
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Sponsored Links
Use a vacuum cleaner to suck draw strings through the ducts.
Great idea!!

Thanks for all the help but my head is now ringing ha ha!!

I only thought of a 40A as when I googled garage consumer units most had that or a 63A. Because all I need is one light and maybe two double sockets for the chest freezer etc, I knew it would be more likely the 40A one.

As its a pre fab garage I dont have any Extraneous Conductive Parts (although they do sound kind of cool ;) ), the earthing system is the one where the earth is strapped round the incoming 2 core cable and as for the maximum demand, chest freezer 24/7 and sometimes a radio or jigsaw etc.

I may lay the duct in and then get some other advice. Should I pull something more manly through the duct like rope?

I only thought of a 40A as when I googled garage consumer units most had that or a 63A. Because all I need is one light and maybe two double sockets for the chest freezer etc, I knew it would be more likely the 40A one.
With the garage CU that's the rating of the RCD in it. As long as it's higher than the load of the circuits either will do - could be an 80 or 100A if you like - makes no difference.

chest freezer
Err...

How cold does it get inside this concrete box in the winter?

You may well find you can't have a freezer out there, or that you need to take particular care when choosing it, as they don't work if it gets too cold.

Should I pull something more manly through the duct like rope?
Yes.

I've heard the explanation of this a few times. Although it's true, it's one of those oddities of life!
Yes, it's very odd - but I gather that a lot of people experienced it last winter.

Kind Regards, John.

Should I pull something more manly through the duct like rope?
Depends on what you are pulling in and the number of curves in the duct route. Stiff SWA can often be pushed into the duct and the draw cord used only to encourage the end to follow the curves in the duct.

For flexible cables a 1/4 in plaited rope will be more than adequate but pull in a new draw cord with the cables. Twisted rope tends to untwist as it pulls the cables in and the cables twist around the new draw cord sometimes making it useless for pulling in cables later. Use a swivel joint between draw cord and cables to prevent the cables twisting.

A good quality clothes line makes a good draw cord.

I assume you mean the traditional rope clothes line, not the modern plastic covered stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back