clicking pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone suggest what this might be please.
In new extension of house, I can hear what sounds like a dripping or a clicking noise coming from the ceiling in one corner.
In the room above it can also be heard in the same place but on the floor.
It is where the new pipework runs around the room to the new radiator.(though is not where the radiator is actually positioned.)
It doesnt do it all the time but alot of the time.
We have lifted the floor and there is no sign of a leak anywhere.
It seems that sometimes if I stand on the floor in a certain place in the corner where the pipes are making the noise, it stops happening.
It is really annoying and noticeable.
It has done this since the heating was up and running.

Sponsored Links
Does it coincide with heating up or cooling down of that part of system? Sounds like expansion/contraction noises. Would indicate incompetent installation.

I will find that out.
If thats the case then I will ask the plumbers to come back and sort it out.
Also, sorry to ask another in same post but there are two new toilets in the new bit and after they are flushed they sort of 'glug' loudly. The other toilets in the house dont do this.
We thought that perhaps it was because the pipework was new but should this happen and if so, will it stop after a while?

No it shouldn't happen. Sounds like syphonage resulting from lack of ventilation on new soil stack/drain branch. Check Building Regs Part H on ODPM web site for venting requirements. Was the work done with reference to Building Control?

Sponsored Links
do you mean, has the building inspector been to look at the work?
if so, yes he has and I believe that he has to come back a final time.

We paid someone a price for the whole thing, including all the plumbing, electrics, planning, inspections etc, so I guess I will need to take this up with him.

re the building inspector.... he didnt actually get his shoes dirty mind!!!!

TOFFEE, come back over to 'discussion' . Missing you already!! :D

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back