Clio sport 197 ,won't start ,driving lights on constant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got 2007 197 clio sport ,came to start it this morning and pushed the start button but dint start ,I thought it might be flat battery so I put jump leads on this time there was a clicking noise when I pushed start button so I'm thinking either stuck starter motor or it's knackered but what I've also noticed tonight is now the dashboard and front and rear driving lights are staying on ,I've checked to see if I'd forgotten to turn them off
,but they are in off position so I've disconnected the battery for now ...total stumped on this one ,also the wipers had a little go too even though they are turned off ....any ideas welcome thanks

Sponsored Links
Could still be the battery, most peoples jump leads are not heavy enough to pass the required current. If you do try them again leave them connected for 5 minutes with the other car running before you try cranking, make sure the clips are connected with plenty of metal to metal contact not just on a small bolt etc.

Agree with above. Most people buy cheap jump leads 'Just in case' they might need them but often they will simply not pass sufficient current to start the vehicle with flat battery, particularly if that vehicle is a diesel engined one.

By running 'donor' vehicle with jump leads connected will put a bit of charge in flat battery then both batteries will provide sufficient power to start vehicle.

Sponsored Links
What about the lights staying on even though they are turned off at the stork
Does the stalk switch operate the lights or do they control them via a, possibly now, confused electronic 'magic' box?

If so disconnecting the battery, and either charging it with battery charger or by connecting it with jump leads to a second vehicle left running for a while to put some charge back into flat battery, then reconnecting to vehicle should reboot the vehicle electronics and hopefully solve this problem.

Just a quick up date, left jump leads connected as advised,didn't start first time but after reving engine for a min it finally started my car up, lights then turned off, hoping it's a knackered battery, going to get it tested tomoz, thanks for advise

Just put meter on battery with engine running, but it's showing 15.25 is this top high.. Cheers

Ive not seen charging voltage that high but if the battery is flat is is possible.
I would advise trying to charge the battery with a purpose made charger first and then try it on the car.
The battery may be near the end of its life too so worth getting that checked out.

Sponsored Links
Back