Clips for concealed toilet panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Not really plumbing, but as it concerns a WC I thought it best to ask here.

just finishing fitting the first of two matching bathrooms.

Mrs has chosen a vanity-unit type WC with a concealed cistern (see here) with a matching sink cabinet and a wooden bathroom worktop over the lot with a top mounted bowl sink.

I’ve fitted the carcass and am at the stage where I need to fit the toilet pan.

but, as the top will have a worktop over it, the only future access to the cistern is through the panel that fits behind the pan.

Is it just me or is that crazy? To remove the panel you have to pull directly ‘out’. The panel is attached to the unit with keku push-fit clips.

so, in order to access the cistern it would be necessary to cut the silicone around the base of the pan, pull the pan away from the unit by an inch and then remove the panel.

now, I’m more than happy to modify the setup before I finish the install and was looking for suggestions about the best way to do this.

One way would be to not silicone the pan down, that way it’s just attached with the two screws - but this seems like it would be a bit wobbly (and would be a pee trap).

another would be to make one of the upper panel removable to give space above the main panel and then to swap the push-fit clips to a lift-out clip. But I don’t think this would give enough lift.

a third would be to make the worktop removable by using some sort of push connector above the loo cabinet (I can access the underside of the sink) and just put up with the hassle of cutting the silicone and disconnecting the taps/sink waste.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hard to visualise without pics or a sketch, options i'd look at are!
Ditch the keku spring clips
Use Velcro to secure the panel or
Make some double wedges (so gravity holds the panel to the face, lift to remove)

I've just had to remove a similar panel from behind the WC. However it has lift off clips like this https://www.commercialwashroomsltd.co.uk/panel-clips-lift-off.html

Remove silicone and slide upwards, the clips don't engage as such just hold the panel in place.

When you fit the shelf on the top of unit make sure the overhang isn't too big as you may have issues sliding the panel up and out.

Sponsored Links
would wiping the loo porcelain with washing up liquid before silicone create a rubber seal that was tight, but not fixed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back