Cloakroom Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to "upgrade" my internet access by moving to fibre - BT Infinity or similar, not Virgin.

Currnetly my BT Mastersocket is in a cloakroom under the stairs. THe Cloakroom has a loo and small wash-hand basin.

As I understand it having BT fibre means a new BT faceplate and modem router nearby - obviously with its own power supply.

I also understand that the PS is one of the "WallWart" things.

Is it "allowed" to have a conventional socket in such a cloakroom? If not what sort of socket might be suitable. The current BT socket is above and behind the loo on the window frame and about 100 cm from the basin.

Getting a feed to a new socket would be easy as the CU is directly next to the cloakroom in a "small" understairs cupboard. - large enough to kneel up in, and with a twin 13amp socket on a RCD protected circuit so no need to enter the CU.

The only other solution would be to use an extension from the BT Mastersocket to your current location 30 ft further on where the current modem sits. This is done by using one of the NTE faceplates like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5ADSL.html.

Sponsored Links
Your get a router modem hub (an all in one).

I'd be questioning the logic of having cables out to devices and the strength of the wifi signal if the unit goes in the wc :eek:

Factor in £50 on the installation and get the BT chaps to fit the service in the home office or somewhere near any desktop kit. You should also consider location regarding wifi use and decent signal for all rooms where wifi might be used.

Obviously you need power near the new location for the hub.

AIUI there are no specific requirements for rooms containing toilets and sinks only the general requirement that equipment must be suitable for it's environment.

Sponsored Links
Your get a router modem hub (an all in one).

No you don't. VDSL modems are separate.

Have the BT engineer move the service to a more suitable location.

Oh, sorry about that. I only know once person with the BT infinity service round here. Virgin rule in North London, something to do with beng a more settle service and having 100 Mbit service :LOL:

Don't BT provide the router / hub with the Infinity modem? And if they do, isn't the uplink between the two 20 cm long? :LOL:

Oh, sorry about that. I only know once person with the BT infinity service round here. Virgin rule in North London, something to do with beng a more settle service and having 100 Mbit service :LOL:

Shame you can't use that 100Mbit for more than a few minutes before they throttle you so their network doesn't collapse! Oh, and you're locked in to unreliable junk like their SuperHub (just as bad as the HomeHub, but you can't get out of it).

Don't BT provide the router / hub with the Infinity modem? And if they do, isn't the uplink between the two 20 cm long? :LOL:

You only get the router (HomeHub) if you use BT. You can have their VDSL2 service without using BT directly. And it's a complete piece of shocking crap. It's so bad it has a restart button. The connection between the two is ethernet, so.. it's almost unlimited range domestically.

Funny how people's service changes area to area isn't it.

Virgin here are rock solid, ok I've had to add on a wifi extender to the Superhub. Other than than we have two teenagers gaming constantly or uploading films, the Mrs on the two desktops (at the same time) and me messing around on the iPad or laptop.

Never had any restriction, ever. No choking and no slow stuff- according to doom monsters on the net I must have a unique service :eek:

Do you not accept that in practical terms the kits should co exist in the same location if for no reason other than status LEDs and reboots (power on /off)?

Do you not accept that in practical terms the kits should co exist in the same location if for no reason other than status LEDs and reboots (power on /off)?

The modem should be at the master socket. As for whatever connects to its ethernet port, I couldn't care less. There's no reason to see the 'status' (totally useless yes or no lights, no more and far less information than I can gather from my chair without even having access to the modem diagnostics) LEDs and no reason to sync a power cycle. There should be no reason to power cycle ever. If your modem or router needs rebooting it's broken.

Many thanks for the comments so far.

From my point of view the understairs is almost the worst place - especially as both my printers and both the desktops have to be wired.

If the modem ends up having to be in the loo, can you get UV stable Cat5E cable as running it indoors would not go down with SWMBO (or me for that matter!!)

Many thanks for the comments so far.

From my point of view the understairs is almost the worst place - especially as both my printers and both the desktops have to be wired.

If the modem ends up having to be in the loo, can you get UV stable Cat5E cable as running it indoors would not go down with SWMBO (or me for that matter!!)

You can get suitable cable to run outside if needed, yes. I still say get BT to move your master socket.

The newer VDSL wall plates have a pair of terminals to allow you to run a dedicated extension for the DSL from the unfiltered side of the wiring. You can run a new cable, or use a spare pair in existing cable (or turn an existing extension into just DSL), you use an RJ11 outlet on the end of this single pair.

Perhaps you could leave the master NTE where it is, and run an extension to a more suitable place when BT have finished?

Circled in red below:

inside-fttc-faceplate.jpg

Just below them is the strain relief for the pair. Threading the pair through it or tie-wrapping the pair to it reduces the risk of the punch down connection being affected by vibration / movement.

although not desirable, you could put the wallwart next to the CU and maybe drill a hole through to the toilet to power the hub. Add some silicon to seal hole.

Just below them is the strain relief for the pair. Threading the pair through it or tie-wrapping the pair to it reduces the risk of the punch down connection being affected by vibration / movement.

Yep, I should also point out this is not mine, it's googled!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back