Cloakroom sink fixing prob - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
brought of of these...
http://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/product.asp?pid=517

It does not come with any mounting brackets to attach it to the wall. The supplier has advised using Fischer bolts and rawl plugs? Anyway i told the builder this and he is unhappy about using Fischer bolts to mount the sink onto thermolite block and says the sink could come off the wall if any pressure is put on such as a child pulling on it.

Any advice please. thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
I agree with your builder, if you just rely on the fixings in the back of the sink casting, there is a good chance it will end up on the floor. If you go look in the building section in B&Q, they sell heavy duty angled wall straps with holes in around 25mm wide & 6mm thick that look a bit like this; http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1274266551177&isSearch=true
but are around 400mm x 400mm; unfortunately I cant find a pic of the actual bracket.

What I’ve done before is to fabricate 2 wall brackets that support the edges of the sink (cut to length to suit the sink) there are usually recesses cast into the underside of the sink so you cant actually the bracket when in place unless you stick your head under there. Use a suitable number of anchor bolts to secure the bracket directly to the blockwork or timber stud & bury it in the plaster or behind the plaster board. ;)

These sort of sinks are designed to be placed on top of vanity units. I don't know if you have space in the cloakroom for one though.

Sponsored Links
These sort of sinks are designed to be placed on top of vanity units. I don't know if you have space in the cloakroom for one though.
Correct; but I have used the bracket arrangement above successfully before (even in my own house) & not had any problems; obviously don't attempt to sit on it! :confused:

well i fitted two of these in my house a year ago

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1274271904154&isSearch=true

The pedestal completely floats and offer no support.
The basin is secured to the wall via two sanitary fixing bolts from toolstation,
i did silicone it to the wall as well.

i put the studs in and waited for silicone to set, then stuck it to the wall and did the nuts up. Its rock solid....

I would wager the basin fixing holes would need to break before the basin fell off.

well i fitted two of these in my house a year ago

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...search&ts=1274271904154&isSearch=true[/QUOTE]

Never fitted one of those but I always assumed the ½ pedestal had its own fixings. Even if the pedestal has no fixings to the wall of it’s own, I assume it’s fixed to the sink unit so is still offering support because the overall depth will reduce the cantilever effect (similar to my brackets) of any load on the outer edge of the sink, spreading it down the wall to the depth of the pedestal. Relying on just 3-4 inches of sink without support brackets (or a 1/2 pedestal) will significantly increase the cantilever effect of any load exerted on the outer edge of the sink so it would fail under a much smaller load.

I agree about the sink casting though; I would also expect the basin to break away at the fixing holes rather than pull the fixings from the wall; assuming a decent sized/type fixing was used in the 1st place. ;)

I agree completely rich,

Was very surprised when they were delivered that the semi pedestal had two little fixings which hung it on the wall under, not touching, completely floating beneath the basin.

After taking out a few basins, those which are siliconed onto the wall behind. usually pull the plaster away with it.

Hence the big squidge of sillicone on the rear of the basin.

The sanitary fixing bolts, are very substantial plastic washers spreading the load reasonably well around the basin. They also are cammed, which means you can level the basin even if the studs arent perfectly level.

A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back