Clocks going Forward/Backwards, BST.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BST Changes, not CLOCKING.
Why with all the technology imbedded in cars, do I have to change the clock to winter / summer time.
It knows the date, it tells me thinks I don't want to know about that are date related.
Is it an oversight. on the manufacturers?.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it can only be cost. I'm fairly certain that Vauxhall included this for some time on the Vectra B and dropped it during a MY changeover. They also usd to have the ability to switch mph to kmh but that also disappeared. These features were on very ordinary models, not at all high -level.

Cant see any cost being incurred.
Obviously not all countries change the time at the same date. Cars are specific to country as it is.
Maybe someone in the know can give us a reason.

Cant see any cost being incurred.
Obviously not all countries change the time at the same date. Cars are specific to country as it is.

Time changes are generated by signals from dedicated radio transmitters and not by instructions contained in the radio. The British transmitter is at Anthorn in Cumbria and the main one for the near Continent is Mainflingen , near Frankfurt ( signal extends to 2 000 km ). Why do you think that a chip that is also a radio-receiver will be the same price as a dumb chip ? The price difference might only be 20 p ( pure guess ) but if the manufacturer believes that not enough customers value this cost, then they will eliminate it.

I wasn't in electronics, but spent all my working-life selling technical components to car-manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
My central heating programmer changes automatically when the clocks go forward/backwards. Only cost about £40. On the other hand, our Range Rover clock needs piddling with twice a year. First world problems eh? :rolleyes:

Time changes are generated by signals from dedicated radio transmitters and not by instructions contained in the radio. The British transmitter is at Anthorn in Cumbria and the main one for the near Continent is Mainflingen , near Frankfurt ( signal extends to 2 000 km ). Why do you think that a chip that is also a radio-receiver will be the same price as a dumb chip ? The price difference might only be 20 p ( pure guess ) but if the manufacturer believes that not enough customers value this cost, then they will eliminate it.

I wasn't in electronics, but spent all my working-life selling technical components to car-manufacturers.
Maybe so.
Time changes are set calendars are programmed with date changes, they do not need internet or radio signal.
Cars tell you when a service is due by date & or mileage, so the date is used, it can be used to control time as I would assume date/time are on the same chip.

My central heating programmer changes automatically when the clocks go forward/backwards. Only cost about £40. On the other hand, our Range Rover clock needs piddling with twice a year. First world problems eh? :rolleyes:
So does mine, so its programmed in.
No internet or radio signal used.

Most newer motors have GPS Clock Sync so it'll become a non-issue as time goes on and older motors are phased out.

The Vectra one changed the time whenever you travelled to France etc

Funny that, I couldn't get my vectra to move some days, let alone France.

First and last Vauxhall I'll have had, scrapped it in the end. It was the 19 CDTI 150/Fiat

I've had lots of Vauxhalls back to the first Cavaliers and have found them to be superbly reliable. I used to do lots of 10-12 day business trips as far down as Austria and Switzerland and the only mechanical problems I ever suffered were a water-pump, an alternator and a wheel-bearing, but I have never had a diesel, by choice.

If the prats that be did away with changing the damn clocks we wouldn't have the problem.

I was talking to someone about it and my suggestion was set it half hour between the two hours and leave it at that.

My last two cars have both had Sat Nav and D.A.B. radios, both of which knew the time on their own. And I still to change the time on the clock.
I would have thought that the clock would have been linked to at least one of them.

My last two cars have both had Sat Nav and D.A.B. radios, both of which knew the time on their own. And I still to change the time on the clock.
I would have thought that the clock would have been linked to at least one of them.

Unless of course it's analogue you'll probably find the digital clock would have been linked to the nav but time update by GPS isn't turned on by default, or at least it wasn't in my motor.

Sponsored Links
Back