failed garden clock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a battery-operated wireless-controlled clock on my garden shed, a present from five years ago. Two weeks ago, it suddenly stopped.

I've changed the battery twice but still hands don't move. The battery terminals in the case are quite clean. The hands, glass and electronics are all in a sealed unit so it's unlikely to be corrosion of the mechanism, but...I can't get inside, even if I knew what to look for. I can't imagine what's gone wrong.

I've checked with the NPL and the time signal is still going. The clock is Chinese-made but the instructions say that Precision Clocks Ltd in England made the mechanism so I sent them an email but got no reply, other than an acknowledgement that they received the email.

I think that five years is rather a short lifetime for this clock. I've no idea what it cost but I'd guess £80 or so. Do I get another one and hope for the best or do I pursue Precision Clocks?

Sponsored Links
Give up. I'm afraid things these days don't last as long as years gone by. My ipad died after 2 yrs and it cost me £500. 😬

It would seem sun dials can last 1000's of years but they have a problem with daylight saving.

However my computer and my weather station will not correct them selves if out by a large amount. You may need to manually correct to somewhere near correct time for the auto system to work.

I can't see it would do any harm to ring them, at least then you will know if is repairable or not & how much it is likely to cost but you might also be able to get a new one cheaper on e-bay or similar.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar clock in my garden though I don't recall who made it. It was about £35 not £80. Anyway I have had problems getting it going after battery changes. On the back of the mechanism there are a couple of buttons, time set, reset etc. Pressing these randomly got the hands into search mode. I then put it on a table back down with the internal aerial at right angles to the direction of Anthorn assuming the ferrite is horizontal inside. This worked, after that it can be uing up again.

OTOH, unless you are launching space missions from your garden, a mechanical clock powered by a spring will be perfectly good enough, and a lot less prone to going wrong.

But talking of going wrong, WOE has gone wrong in the brains of people who think they need radio regulated clocks in their gardens?

FFS.

It is the 21st century. Who wants to go outside in all weathers and regularly wind up a clock?

Just because you don't want something doesn't mean other people shouldn't be allowed it.

Sorry to disappoint but you've not got your dictatorship just yet.

Ah - disappointment all round, then, because we can add the disappointment of you failing to show where I have said that they should not be allowed.

In response to winston1's experience--yes, I should have mentioned the two buttons. I've pressed them and neither will kick the hands into life. At the top in a recess at the back are two little pins and I read somewhere that shorting them out with a screwdriver blade, say, will also get the hands moving, perhaps to the 12 o'clock start position, I can't remember. Anyway, I've tried that without luck. With a 1.5volt battery installed, there's about 0.8 volt across the pins. but not knowing the circuitry inside, I've no idea if this voltage is symptomatic of anything!!!!

If all else fails, and I get no joy from Precision Clocks Ltd, I can remove the seal between the glass and the hands and try moving them manually, or, try putting 3 volts across the battery terminals rather than 1.5 volts, but I expect the latter step will destroy the thing so that really would be the final act of desperation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back